Dhirdis are like instant dosas generally made with rice flour. In this recipe I have combined pancake mix with the besan for protein and taste, and rice rava for the crispy texture! I add turmeric and cumin seed powders for flavor and health.Top them with sliced tomato, chopped onion and cilantro or your favorite veggies and you are ready to eat in less than 15 minutes!
makes about 10 dhirdis
- 2 cups of complete pancake mix such as Krusteaz brand Buttermilk -complete pancake mix.
- 1/2 cup besan (chick pea flour)
- 1/2 cup idli rawa (cream of rice)
- salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 /2 teaspoon chili powder (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons cumin seed powder
- 2 1/2 cups water
- cooking oil
- 1 medium tomato thinly sliced
- 1 small onion,diced
- a few sprigs of cilantro ,chopped
- butter (optional)
- Ketchup or Quick chutney to serve/eat with
- In a bowl,combine the pancake mix,besan,idli rawa,salt and the turmeric,chili and cumin seed powders.Mix the dry ingredients together and then add the water.The batter should be the consistency of pancake batter.
- Heat a non stick griddle or frying pan over medium heat. Turn the heat to low,and add about 1/2 cup of the batter and gently spread it around with the back of a ladle.Top with a slice of tomato and the onion and cilantro.Drizzle a teaspoon of oil around the edges of the dhirdi and let it cook covered for about two minutes or until cooked on top and crispy at the edges.
- If you like the tomato and onion caramelized, like I do, add 1/2 teaspoon of butter on top of the tomato and flip the dhirdi. Let it cook on the other side for a few seconds and remove.
- Repeat with the other batter. Dhirdis taste delicious with ketchup or chutney.