Mouth watering Misal !

Misal- perfect for a spring day
Misal- perfect for a spring day

serves 4 to 6

Misal and the toppings!
Misal and the toppings!

Friday evenings at our house have long been designated the ‘snacks for dinner’ evenings. When the children were little, they called it Family time Fridays….yes no surprise there…. our family always bonds over food 🙂  With the wide array of mouth watering, tantalizing and tempting snacks from around the world to choose from, making the snacks our main course made sense.  Just in India alone, the different states have their own special tea time and tiffin snacks, and the aroma drifting from the street food carts tempt your taste buds at every city corner.

One such dish is the Misal in the state of Maharashtra. The word Misal literally means mixture. There are many versions of Misal, like the super hot and spicy Kolhapuri Misal paav and the milder Puneri Misal well known for adding pohe, a pressed rice snack to it. No matter which version you make, it is a great party dish where guests can help themselves to the toppings.

I have stuck to a recipe that my family has enjoyed over the years and one that was the simplest for me to make. I make the Misal in a pressure pan where the pulses cook with all the spices, incorporating their flavors. This Misal is  a scrumptious mixture where the hot and deliciously spiced sprouted pulses are combined with the cool coconut, tomatoes and onion and the crunchy toppings like chivda and sev. I use the Kashmiri or Bedgi red chili powder for this to give it a red hot color, without it being insanely spicy hot. Traditionally Misal is served with bread to soak up the ‘kut’ or the sauce but we did not care much for the bread with our Misal …..hmmm makes me think…..maybe we just slurped our missal at fun family times 🙂

On the plus side, I got the children and my husband to eat sprouted pulses which they normally refrain from! A variety of dried pulses like Moath/matki, black eye peas, white peas etc.. are soaked and sprouted for Misal. The goodness of the sprouted pulses  justifies the fried chivda and sev, I believe!

• 2 teaspoons oil
  • 2 cloves of garlic, sliced thin
  • 7~8 fresh curry leaves
  • ¾ teaspoon black mustard seeds
  • ¾ teaspoon cumin seeds
  • 1/8 teaspoon asafetida/hing
  • 1½ teaspoons Kashmiri or Bedgi red chili powder, or to taste
  • ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
  • 1 cup sprouted moath/matki (1/2 cup dry matki,soaked and sprouted)
  • ½ cup sprouted red chori /small red kidney beans ( ¼ cup dry chori)
  • ½ cup white peas (¼ cup dried white peas, soaked)
  • sea salt to taste
  • 3½ cups water
  • 1 teaspoon roasted cumin seed powder
  • 1½ teaspoons roasted coriander seed powder
  • 1 teaspoon kala/goada masala
  • 1½ dry tamarind pods,  soaked in ¼ cup warm water and pulp extracted
  • 1½ tablespoons jaggery

For the topping-

sev, chivda both store bought, peeled and diced red onion and boiled potatoes (optional), diced tomatoes, minced cilantro leaves, grated coconut and plain yogurt.

To make the Misal-

1. Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat. ( I used a pressure pan). Add the next 11 ingredients in the order given.. Add the water and cook until  the pulses are softly cooked. On my electric cooktop,the pressure pan cooker timing is one whistle plus 5 minutes on low.
  2. After opening the lid, add the next 5  ingredients, let the Misal simmer for 4 to 5 minutes.

Serve with the toppings!

Enjoy the weekend. I am taking the Misal and joining the Fiesta at Angie’s hosted by Ginger of Ginger & Bread and Loretta at Safari Of The Mind.

1. fantastic!! Have always had the ready ones…This is a great homemade recipe:))

Thank you! Do let me know how you like it!

Welcome Sandhya, better late than never :). Your dishes are just so vibrant and colorful, love all the explanations too. I like the idea of Family Fridays, I’m sure those warm memories will live in your hearts forever. So tell me, what’s the difference between hing and kasuri methi? I’m always confused. A great variation of pulses.

Hi Loretta, Always a pleasure to hear from you! Hing is the asafetida powder which is stinky- may be that is the one you were thinking of? (aha moment here! 🙂 Hing is a natural gum, yellowish in color, that is powdered. It is used very scantily- like 1/ 16 to1/8 teaspoon. kasuri methi is dried methi (fengreek) leaves, so dark green in color.
      Yes the children loved and still remember family Fridays. I remember one wintry Friday, we spread out a blanket in front of the fireplace and had a picnic. I had made personal pizzas that Friday with the kids choosing their own topping for their pizza- we had some crazy combinations of toppings:)

Hi Loretta, I was having so much trouble with wordpress- it was so slow. Has that been happening to you? By the time the post was done, I was exhausted just because I was typing one alphabet at a time and waiting for it to appear on screen:) Alsoanother question (while I am ranting:) my reader throws so many blogs at me that I am not following, that I end up missing the ones I want to read;(
      Anyway, Family Fridays were really enjoyed by the children when they were little.In fact, this Mother’s Day I will ‘demand’ (hey I am Queen that day:) that they write to me about one of their favorite Family Friday. I remember one wintry Friday, we had a picnic by the fireplace and the kids got to choose their own toppings on the personal pizzas I was making. We had some crazy topping combinations!
      I have an ‘aha’ moment when you asked about the difference between kasuri methi and hing. Hing is the stinky one you were talking about I think. Hing/asafetida is a natural gum, yellowish in color. I use between 1/16 to 1/8 teaspoon in a recipe- it adds flavor and also helps with digestion. Kasuri methi is the dried and crushed leaves of the fenugreek plant. So dark green in color.. Methi seeds are mustard brown color- again I use 3 to 4 grains.
      Hope that helps!

Thanks for explaining the difference Sandhya. Not sure why I keep confusing the 2 dried spices. You have some wonderful stories to remember your Family Fridays by, and I’m sure your children will too. :). Sorry I’m late thanking you for this, it’s been tough to keep up with the blog lately, I just about get one post ready a week, and it’s the beginning of another week again. My sister is here from England and I know I’ll be peeking in and out, but hopefully will manage to stay afloat. Thanks again Sandhya 🙂

3. What bright and colorful dishes. I am slowly learning about the different Indian ingredients and have been shopping at my local Indian grocery stores trying to familiarize myself with these new seasonings. I know if I cannot find what I want I usually can order it online. I just finished an online class on Indian curries and hope to make something soon 🙂

Thank you Judi! Your class sounds like fun! How many different curries did you learn? You are so talented that I am sure you will excel at curries too.

1. A bunch – Tari Waali Murghi, Thenga Bonda, Baingan Bharta and Tamatar Jhinga which is what I will make first. Very simple and with shrimp 🙂

Sounds great! Yes I would definitely make the shrimp first too:)

4. Doreen Bench says:

Wish I had all these ingredients. It looks incredible!

All of them are available in most Indian stores, if you have any close by.

5. Zoale.com says:

You are always introducing me to the most amazing dishes Sandhya! This looks amazing 🙂

Thank you Antonia! You are so kind.

This is so colorful and delicious looking. I would enjoy this since I love vegetables and different new foods, too.

Thank you so much!

oh and p.s. congrats on your mention this week. It was well deserved :). I’m sure you must be mighty proud.

I am so happy and proud!!!!!! Thank you!

8. shwyny says:

This looks absolutely yumm! Thanks for sharing it!!!

9. Ashwini says:

Misal is all time favorite. Good recipe!

Mine too Ashwini! Thanks!