Chilled vegetarian, vegan, gluten free soup that is perfect for the summer!
Boston is experiencing another heat wave. I remind myself of the winter and try to enjoy all aspects of the summer, including its special foods.
Cucumbers are said to remain cool inside even when it is hot outside. During the summers in India, the street vendors sold cucumber spears sprinkled with salt and chili powder. They always looked so inviting. Along with important vitamins and minerals, cucumbers have high water content and low caloric count, so they certainly are helpful in losing weight.
I have been struggling to get rid of some extra pounds so having this chilled soup before the main course served many purposes for me 🙂
Just 1/4 of a medium sized avocado gave the soup so much creaminess and the fresh ginger root added some zing. Ginger root has so many health benefits, including helping with digestion. The pineapple and red pepper salsa juxtaposes really well with this chilled soup, providing a contrast in texture and taste.
So here is my easy recipe-
Chilled Cucumber Avocado Soup
- 1 English cucumber, peeled and chopped
- ¼ medium avocado, peel and pit removed
- ½ teaspoon peeled and freshly grated ginger root
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- Salt to taste
For the pineapple salsa-
- ½ cup diced pineapple
- 1/8 cup diced red pepper
- 1/8 cup diced red onion
- 1/8 cup chopped cilantro
- ¼ Thai chili pepper, diced very fine
- Salt to taste
To make the Chilled Cucumber Avocado Soup-
- Combine all ingredients for the soup, blend in a blender until smooth. Pour in a container, cover and chill in the refrigerator for a minimum of 2 hours or until ready to serve.
- Combine all the ingredients for the pineapple salsa in a bowl. Mix well and set aside.
- Serve the chilled soup topped with the pineapple salsa.
Have a cool and refreshing weekend all! Stay cool as a cucumber 🙂