These nubby scrumptious pancakes are a protein rich, gluten free Indo Mexican meal in under 20 minutes!
Last week we went to New Orleans for a quick vacation. This was my first trip there and I enjoyed the architecture, culture and of course the food! I will write about it and share pictures soon.
I am not sure what exactly happens to me, but from the moment I leave home to go to the airport, I am looking to eat all kinds of food at every opportunity I get. We had an early morning flight so that meant my vacationing self could have 5 meals that day starting with a big breakfast at Logan airport, in Boston itself! Then there was an amazing array of foods in New Orleans which I simply had to have 🙂 Needless to say, when I rolled back home, my scale was not kind to me. So now I am back to my ‘scrumptious yet healthy meals ‘mode.
Protein rich and gluten free, besan or chickpea flour is a very common ingredient in Indian cooking. Mention the word besan and it conjures up mouthwatering dishes like bhajiyas or fritters, vadas, sev etc… all very moreish but they are all deep fried and I lack the sense of portion control 😦
So, I had to come up with a healthier, protein rich besan dish with my favorite ingredients. Enter Indian Mexican fusion pancake, which checked off Indfused’s boxes for a scrumptious, healthier, quick and easy, filling meal.
You may change the topping to your liking. I am sharing with you the one I absolutely don’t get tired of eating. A combination of black beans, roasted corn, tomatoes, onions, cilantro and avocado. This is a quick and easy meal and so filling!
Besan Pancake with Black Beans and Roasted Corn
- 1 cup besan or gram/chickpea flour
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon roasted cumin seed powder
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder (or to taste)
- Salt to taste
- 1 & 1/3 cup water
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- About 3 teaspoons oil to make the pancake
- Cooked black beans + roasted corn + small onion diced + diced tomato + avocado + cilantro + salt
To serve- Salsa or chutney. I served them with Mango and Red Pepper Chutney! Yummy!
To make the Besan Pancake with Black Beans and Roasted Corn-
- Combine the besan, turmeric, cumin and chili powders. Add the salt. Whisk in the water and the beaten egg. Set aside.
- Combine the ingredients for the topping and keep them ready.
- Add the baking soda and whisk it in the batter when you are ready to make the pancakes.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat with ½ teaspoon of oil. Add about ½ cup of the batter and 1/6 of the topping. Cover the pan and let the pancake cook over low heat for about 4 ~5 minutes or until cooked and golden brown on the bottom. Flip the pancake and let the top cook for another minute.
- Serve with readymade salsa or a chutney. I served them with Mango and Red Pepper Chutney Yummy!
- Repeat with the other 5 pancakes.
- Enjoy the nubby pancakes laden with fiber rich black beans and roasted corn!
Note- These pancakes can be made without adding the egg. The texture of the pancake will differ, but still taste awesome.
Enjoy these besan pancakes for breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner!
Have a great weekend all,