Easy weeknight tostadas. Enjoy the bounty of the end of summer veggies on these scrumptious vegetarian, gluten free, tostadas! Made easy with an air fryer!
One of summer’s attractions for me is visiting various farmer’s markets. This is where I am an impulsive shopper. The vibrant colors and the varied textures and tastes of the fresh local produce draw me in. Before I know it, I end up with loads of veggies and fruit. My husband meanwhile fills up bags of various types of bread. I guess that is his reward for coming to the farmers markets with me 🙂
End of summer brings in a plethora of delectable veggies and fruit, doesn’t it? I got loads of veggies which will be used for khatkhatey this week.
For easy weeknight tostadas, I roasted some of the sweet potatoes, poblano, sweet mini peppers corn and the wild wonder gourmet medley of tomatoes, in the air fryer.
While they were roasting, I made the Avocado Chutney Sauce and the quick pickled red cabbage. I heated vegetarian refried beans with a touch of brown sugar and red chili powder and we were ready to assemble the layers over fire roasted tostadas!
My family absolutely loved these tostadas with so many layers of flavors and textures!
Farmers Market Tostadas
For the roasted veggies-
- 1 Poblano pepper, deseeded and chopped into bite size pieces
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, scrubbed clean and chopped into ½ inch cubes
- Kernels cut from 1 corn on the cob
- 8 gourmet medley grape tomatoes
- 2 mini sweet peppers
- 1 ½ teaspoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon Mexican oregano
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- Kosher salt to taste
For the quick pickled cabbage-
- 1 cup red cabbage, sliced thin
- Handful of cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- Kosher salt to taste
For the refried beans – I used Ortega brand canned vegetarian refried beans and added a touch of chili powder and brown sugar when heating it up.
- 8 Tostadas
To make the Farmers Market Tostadas-
- In a bowl, toss together all ingredients listed under roasted veggies. Spread them in one layer in an air fryer basket. Roast at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 25 minutes or until cooked. I had to roast them in two batches in my air fryer basket.
- Meanwhile, make the quickly pickled cabbage by combining the cabbage, cilantro, salt and lime juice. Set aside.
- Heat the refried beans with a touch of brown sugar (optional)and chili powder (optional). My family loves the flavor tweak.
- Make the Avocado Chutney Sauce as given here.
- To assemble the Tostadas- Warm up the tostada shells over heat. Top with the refried beans, the roasted veggies and the pickled cabbage. Drizzle with the Avocado Chutney sauce and serve.
- Repeat with other tostada shells.
Enjoy the goodness of the end of summer veggies in these scrumptious tostadas!