makes 4 quarter pounder burgers
Do you have a family like mine who frequently reminds you of the idiom “one man’s food is another man’s poison ?” You know how one child’s absolute favorite dinner has the other child scowling ? And then there are just a few foods that your whole family agrees they love!These delectable burgers are one of those loved foods and hence have been on our list of ‘family favorites’ for many years. I relished the burgers and the fact that the kids did not accuse me of playing favorites on the days I made these burgers:)
I have used ground chicken but the recipe will lend itself to any ground meat of your choice. The onion helps keep the burgers moist and the aroma of the ginger, garlic, onion and mint as the burgers are cooking will have everyone flocking around the grill waiting for the burger to land on their plate!
And remember the Mango and Red Pepper chutney that I had stashed away? Once you taste it with these burgers, you will know why I absolutely needed to save it for these burgers!
I hope these burgers become a regular at your home too ! Do let me know!
Ingredients for the burgers-
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped into 4
- 1/2 inch ginger peeled and coarsely chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 1 handful of fresh cilantro leaves
- 10 to 12 leaves of mint (a small handful)
- 1/2 small Thai bird chili or 1/8 of a small jalapeno pepper
- 1 pound ground chicken, such as Purdue fresh ground chicken
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder( When using store bought, choose a garam masala powder with no red chili powder added to it)
- 1 teaspoon chaat masala ( Basic Indian pantry )
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- sea salt to taste (Chaat masala does have black salt added to it, so take that into account when you add the sea salt)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil to brush burgers before grilling
To make the burgers-
I use my mini food processor which makes this a breeze to prepare.
- In the food processor, add the onion, peeled ginger, garlic cloves, cilantro, mint leaves and the chili pepper.
- Process it until the mixture is finely minced.
- Add the ground chicken, turmeric powder, garam masala powder, chaat masala, Worcestershire sauce and the sea salt. Process it for about 10 seconds until the mixture is all mixed together.
- Remove the mixture and divide it into 4 parts. I use the side of my palm to mark the parts in the mixture.
- Form into 4 burgers. using your thumb, make a slight indentation in the center of each burger so they are flat when they cook.
- I cooked the burgers on a grill ,brushing them with the olive oil before cooking. You could cook them on a grill pan too.
I used hamburger buns, American cheese (lay the slice on the burger for the last few seconds of cooking and let it melt-Yum!), sliced avocado, red onion, lettuce and the chutneys/spreads listed below.
- Mango and Red Pepper Chutney
- 4 teaspoons ketchup + 2 teaspoons Bombay sandwich spread ( Indian products I like)
The figure friendly, creamy and cool onion raita as a topping is scrumptious for these burgers too!