5 ingredient , 5 minute Pedha Modak recipe for Ganesh Chaturthi ! Makes about 71 Pedha Modak with the mold that makes 5 at a time!
Pedha is an Indian fudge like sweet which conjures up images of all things auspicious. They are offered to the Gods during festivals and other happy occasions ( one example being victories over tough exams:) and then shared with friends and family. Modak, with its distinct and exquisite shape is said to be Lord Ganesha’s favorite. So today, on the auspicious occasion of Ganesh Chaturthi, this is a special post for Pedha Modak!
Traditionally Pedhas are made from khoa or khava, which is milk that is boiled and stirred and stirred until it is reduced to a coagulated solid. Simply said it is a labor intensive and time consuming process.
This super easy, goof proof recipe is a dream come true for people like me who like quick and easy recipes without compromising the taste. I have made these Pedha Modaks for many years now and the only time I goofed up was when I tried to cook them a tad too long:) They were still fine but had a chewier taste. So if you have to adjust the cooking time according to your microwave, do so in small, 15 second or so, increments, and be sure to stir in between. The timings given here should work for most microwave ovens.
Ingredients for the Pedha modak-
- 1 ( 14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk, such as Eagle or Carnation brand
- 1 stick ( 8 tablespoons /4 ounces)sweet unsalted butter
- 1 ½ cups milk powder, such as Carnation brand (about 1 1/2 pouches or 12 ounces)
- 1 fat pinch of saffron threads, crushed
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground green cardamom powder
- 1 very tiny pinch of salt (optional)
The 3-2-1 method-
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine all the above ingredients, mix and microwave on high for 3 minutes.
- Stir well and microwave again for 2 minutes. You will see the mixture bubbling.
- Stir well again and microwave once again for 1 minute.
- Remove from microwave, stir well and set aside until the mixture is cool enough to handle.
- Pedhas can be also shaped into balls and stamped with a pretty stamp. I used the molds shown below to shape them into Modak.
This mixture is very forgiving, if you have to come back later and shape the Pedha Modak too. Just cover it loosely and set aside.
Individual microwaves vary so please adjust timings according to your microwave.My timings are based on my 110V, 1000 Watts microwave.