Pumpkin Ginger Lassi- A Nourishing Treat for Halloween !

Makes 1 tall glass (without ice)

Nourishing Ginger Pumpkin Lassi
Ginger Pumpkin Lassi- A nourishing treat !

It is Halloween today! So I wanted to post something ‘pumpkiny’ and thought of a lot of  pumpkin recipes that I have made in the past. Some take a lot of effort and time and I was feeling lazy, some seemed the ‘usual’ and not ‘that’ interesting for Halloween. So I went to the grocery, collecting ingredients and my thoughts as I was walking in the aisles. Do you do that? I am sure that if someone is watching, it must be quite amusing to see me just having stopped in my tracks, staring at a yogurt container or a pumpkin. But people! I have not lost it completely…..not yet anyway:)….I am trying to come up with a recipe.

I was thinking about a pumpkin and ginger lassi but my toughest critic at home, my husband, made a face that told me volumes. I continued undeterred on my quest to come up with a great recipe for it because I love lassi. Lassi, to me, is this nourishing, refreshing and calming drink that takes me back to the days when my mom made it for me especially during stressful exam times.

Ginger is just perfect for this time of the year with its amazing therapeutic qualities ! According to Ayurveda, it  enhances circulation, stokes the digestive fire and also helps with colds. Cardamom is said to restore vitality and calm the mind. Just what I need! I was thinking ‘nourishing’ when I saw pumpkin Greek yogurt and almond milk at Trader Joe’s and a recipe began to form in my head. I stopped staring at the grocery items and came home eager to try out my new recipe combining many of my favorite flavors for fall.

Nourishing, healthy and delicious Ginger Pumpkin Lassi, as my dear hubby is now convinced, is not a trick but a treat for Halloween! It is so good to have a critic at home! Also, I have to give him credit for suggesting the black background for the photo.

Ingredients for the Pumpkin Ginger Lassi
Ingredients for the Pumpkin Ginger Lassi

For the Ginger Pumpkin Lassi I used-

• 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger. Wash and peel the ginger before grating.
  • seeds from 2 pods of cardamom
  • 4 dates. I used Mariani brand pitted dates.
  • 1/2 cup almond milk. I used Pacific Organic brand, vanilla flavored
  • 1 (8 oz) container pumpkin flavored Greek yogurt. I used Trader Joe’s non-fat pumpkin Greek yogurt

For the glass ‘rim’

I used molasses and brown sugar

To serve-

• Candied ginger ‘leaves’. I used Trader Joe’s candied ginger.

To make the Pumpkin Ginger Lassi-

1. In a blender, blend together the grated ginger, cardamom seeds, dates and the almond milk into a very fine paste. Add the pumpkin Greek yogurt and blend for a few seconds to combine.
  2. Serve plain or over ice in the molasses and brown sugar rimmed tall glass and serve with candied ginger.

I hope you enjoy this treat as much as we did! I am joining the fiesta with my Pumpkin Ginger Lassi. Thank you  Angie @ The Novice Gardener ,  Margy @La Petite Casserole and the fantastic Jhuls @The Not So Creative Cook for hosting,

Happy Halloween!

Just gorgeous, love lassi, and yours has some amazing flavors going on. Love the photo too, just curious as to the camera you might have used?

Thank you Loretta. I love lassi and we enjoyed this one too. I don’t have a fancy camera, I use my Olympus SP 600UZ
      Have a great weekend!

Is it a digital camera Sandhya?

Loretta, yes it is an old digital camera but I like it and am used to it.Thank you so much for the compliments.

2. Jhuls says:

I am just about to ask the same thing about the camera. 😀 Loretta is right, the photo is amazing. This lassi sounds refreshing as well and full of amazing flavors. Thanks for sharing and have a lovely weekend. 🙂

Thank you so much Jhuls! That is such a huge compliment coming from you and Loretta. You both have amazing food, recipes and pictures. I am a newbie at taking pictures but have always loved photography.
      We loved the Pumpkin Ginger lassi and is going to be a regular drink ar our house for sure. I love the black and white twisted cookies you posted and also the deeper meaning in life you wrote about. Bravo to you for overcoming hardships and becoming the amazing person you are. You are so right, life does not always give us what we want. We all have to keep faith and keep moving forward.

1. Jhuls says:

Oh don’t mention it. It’s my pleasure to co- host. I am glad you liked my post as well. 🙂

3. mira65 says:

Lovely as usual. What about pumpkin halwa?

Thank you so much Mira! Hmm…pumpkin halwa sounds luscious….but am trying to retrain myself after feasting during Diwlai:)
      Have a great weekend!

4. Liz says:

I am going to make this, with pumpkin puree and plain yoghurt. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Liz,
      That is what I had in mind too until I saw the non fat pumpkin Greek yogurt at Trader Joes. It will definitely be nice with pumpkin puree and plain yogurt as you will be able to put in as much of the pumpkin flavor as you like. Hope you like the flavor as much as we did.
      Thank you!

5. Ginger lassi sounds an amazing treat for Halloween! Thanks for being at FF!

Thank you so much Margherita! I love butternut squash soup with coconut milk and your recipe with caramelized onions looks super delicious!
      Thank you for posting it.

6. I love Lassi’s! Pumpkin and Ginger sound like an amazing combination for one!

Thank you Sarah. We really liked it. I am planning to make it again.

Sarah,
      It does taste great!

7. I love the flavors you have combined in this lassi Sandhya, so perfect for fall! I love the rim! Fabulous 🙂

Thank you so much for your kind words Naina! I went overboard with the rim as I like the taste of molasses a lot:) But it went really well with the fall flavors.

9. Wooooow this is gorgeous and so inviting Love the Classy click too