Ready for a healthy and quick meal? I know I am, after all the ‘stuffing’ 🙂
This easy to make, fish dinner will give you the satisfaction of eating healthy….. and get you ready for the next party!
Growing up, our family had fish for dinner three times a week. My mom made a wide variety of fish dishes. I never thought that I was crazy about it, until after I moved to the United States and missed my ‘usual’ fish dinners. We lived away from the coast then and did not have any store that carried fresh fish in the area, so I learned to make do with whatever fish fillets we could get. During the latter part of my first pregnancy, I literally cried for a particular fish dish that I was craving. I could not get the fish I needed to make it. And that is when I realized I was crazy about fish:)
I am still partial to a fish curry and rice dinner or a lobster bake but my family loves baked fish. Living in the Boston area, we all enjoy the local fresh cod and haddock. I was at Wegman’s recently and saw this gorgeous looking fresh fillet of cod that beckoned me. It was late in the evening and I was tired but could not resist the fresh fish. So I decided to make a quick grilled fish recipe that tastes delicious with a side of coleslaw. The Indian style, figure friendly coleslaw will also buddy up well with this healthy grilled fish.
Cast iron grill pans that can go from stove top to the broiler work the best for this recipe. I used garlic, onion and tomato but am also known to have thrown in a few broccoli florets in the pan at times. The crispy broccoli florets add a nice crunch to the meal along with its nutrients and fiber. And by the time you are done cutting the veggies, the fish is marinated and ready for the grill pan. Dinner is ready in 8 minutes!
½ pound fillet of fresh, wild caught cod
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder( or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- sea salt to taste
For the topping-
- ½ cup plain breadcrumbs or panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 7 or 8 turns of the freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon red chili powder
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- sea salt ( if needed)
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons butter, divided
- 1 small clove of garlic, sliced in two
- 1 medium sized tomato, sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
To make the grilled fish-
- Marinate the fish with the turmeric and chili powders, sea salt and lemon juice. Set aside for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Heat the grill pan with 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil and 1 teaspoon of the butter over medium high heat.
- Add the garlic, sliced tomato and onion. Top it with the fish fillet.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Combine all ingredients for the breadcrumbs and sprinkle them on the fillet of fish.
- Dot with the remaining teaspoon of butter and cook on low for 7 to 8 minutes or until fish is cooked.
- Broil on high in the oven for an additional minute or until the breadcrumb topping is golden brown.
- Serve with the grilled veggies.
Enjoy the mid week light meal ! In my mind, eating light and healthy meals like this one balances perfectly with the pigging out on the weekend:)
Hope you enjoy this delicious fish dinner as much as we did!
Very tasty looking 👍
Thank you so much!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Looks yummy 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person