Do you love the ease of super quick grilled food in the summer? I definitely do! And as summer starts winding down, I take every opportunity to enjoy the outdoor grill and the summer bounty.
That is how the Grilled Naan Pizza came about. This is an easy, no fuss, meal that is simply scrumptious! The corn topping is a combination of Indian and Mexican flavors. The addition of the fresh summer tomatoes, cilantro and red onion gives this pizza a definite oomph!
I started by preparing the corn topping. You can use fresh corn on the cob, grill it and remove the kernels or use frozen defrosted corn and roast them in a teaspoon of oil, in a pan. Then add the cumin seed powder, red chili powder, sea salt, brown sugar and lime juice. Mix.
Add the soft cheese wedge. I used Sonoma Jack’s peppercorn parmesan this time. The corn topping then looks like this-
I used frozen garlic naan and grilled it for about a minute on each side. I used Deep brand this time-
Then added the green chutney. I used store bought chutney but many a times will use a green chutney that I have previously made and refrigerated.
Top with cheese, corn mixture, diced tomatoes, red onion and cilantro leaves.
Grill on low, with the lid covered, one to two minutes, until the cheese is all melty and gooey and the tomatoes and onions have that freshly grilled taste that perk up their flavors!
Grilled Naan Pizza with Chutney and Corn
- 1 cup corn kernels, freshly grilled and removed or frozen corn kernels defrosted and roasted in 1 teaspoon oil.
- 1/ 2 teaspoon cumin seed powder
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder or to taste
- Sea salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon brown sugar
- Juice of ½ lime
- 1 (0.67 oz/19g) wedge of soft parmesan peppercorn cheese
- 2 frozen garlic naan
- 2 teaspoons green chili chutney
- ¼ cup shredded Italian 5 cheese blend (combination of mozzarella, parmesan, provolone, Romano and asiago)
- 1 small plum tomato, diced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- A handful of cilantro leaves, chopped
To make the pizza-
- For the corn topping- To the grilled or pan roasted corn kernels, add the cumin seed powder, chili powder, sea salt, brown sugar and lime juice. Stir and mix in the soft wedge of parmesan peppercorn cheese. Set aside.
- Grill the garlic naan on a preheated grill for about 1 minute on each side.
- To with a teaspoon each of the green chutney and spread it on the naan.
- Top with the shredded Italian cheese, corn mixture, diced tomatoes and onions and the chopped cilantro leaves.
- Grill, covered on low for about a minute or until the cheese melts.
- Remove from the grill and cut in half. Serve.
Quick and easy weeknight meal is ready! Enjoy!