Perfect potluck take along or a quick and easy weeknight meal! Made with rotisserie chicken.
This week has been packed with meeting friends for Yankee swaps and decorating gingerbread houses. To add to all the fun, we have potluck lunches at these gatherings. Living in a multi-cultural town, the array of foods from all over the world is just outstanding. I wanted to make Indian or Indian fusion dishes for these gatherings. I made my ‘Indian Noodles’ for the Book club which my friends love and this Tandoori Chicken Masala stuffed Bread which I came up with this week.
Let me tell you how easy the stuffed bread was-I used rotisserie chicken breast and ready made tandoori chicken masala (spice packet) and grated Mexican cheese. I used store bought bread dough for the S shaped bread….yes I wanted to try that for a long time 🙂
For the other stuffed chicken bread, I used a freshly baked 2 feet long French loaf .Just cut, scoop, fill and warm up. That’s it. I said it was super easy right? It tastes awesome and makes a great presentation too.
Btw, both my book club and the craft group have also turned into eating groups…..but that is a story for another day 🙂
So here is my easy recipe-
Tandoori Chicken Masala Stuffed Bread- Two easy ways!
For the filling- (for each bread)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced thin
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 ½ teaspoon tandoori masala powder
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ¼ cup water
- 1 ½ cup rotisserie chicken breast, shredded
- 1 cup grated Mexican cheese
- ½ cup cilantro chopped
For the S shaped bread-
- 1 pound store bought bread dough,
- Olive oil to brush the baking sheet
For the stuffed French Bread-
- 2 foot long freshly baked French bread
- Aluminum foil
To Make the Tandoori Chicken Masala Stuffed Bread-
- For the filling- In a pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the sliced onion and stir fry until translucent. Add the minced garlic and stir for a minute. Add the tandoori masala powder, stir for 30 seconds and add the tomato paste. Stir until the tomato paste is fragrant and add the ½ cup of water and combine it well.
- Stir in the chicken and mix until the chicken is coated with the tandoori sauce. Let it cook on low for about a minute, so the flavors mingle. Remove from heat and set aside.
- For the S shaped bread- Roll the dough into a rectangle about 18 inches X 12 inches. Put it on a greased baking sheet. Add the filling length wise, in the center (see photo), top with cheese and the chopped cilantro. Cover the filling with the dough on either side, so it forms a long roll. Twist the roll to form an S shape. With kitchen shears, cut the top layer of the dough to expose some of the filling. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until the bread is cooked thru and is golden brown on the outside.
- For the French Stuffed Bread- Slice the fresh bread horizontally (see photo) so there is a base and a top. Set the top aside. Remove the bread center, to form a long bowl to hold the filling. Add the chicken filling, top with cheese and cilantro. Wrap the bread in aluminum foil and warm it in a preheated 300 degree oven for 10~12 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the bread is ‘sealed’.