Low Cal Strawberry Firni for lunch with friends

on

Delicately flavored, low calorie, low fat, gluten free Indian dessert perfect for the season!Super easy recipe!

Easy Indian recipe for low cal, low fat, gluten free dessert with #Basmati rice
Low Cal Strawberry Firni- easy recipe for a perfect Indian dessert for spring!

They say that as adults, it is difficult to make new friends. I have been blessed to have made friends and am often enthralled by how we were meant to meet and how well we connect. I enjoy the relaxed chats I have with such friends….over food, of course!

Easy Indian recipe for low cal, low fat, gluten free dessert with #Basmati rice
Fun afternoon hosting friends for an Indian lunch. Indfused’s Mango Lassi, Cauliflower Rice Upma also in the picture!

I invited one such group of lovely ladies for an Indian lunch this week. They are all into fitness and exercise and inspire me to exercise and eat right. We started our lunch with The ever so popular, Mango Lassi !, papad and chaklis and then had chicken curry, vegetable korma, parathas, Cauliflower Rice Upma and mixed vegetable koshimbir salad- all made in signature Indfused style- healthy, with streamlined recipes and made with what is available locally.

So when I saw beautiful fresh, lush strawberries in the market, I decided to make a low fat, low calorie and gluten free, Strawberry Firni for dessert. Traditionally firni is made with rice cooked in whole milk and flavored with cardamom and saffron. I decided to cook the rice in water and then add evaporated skim milk instead. Also, I skipped the cardamom and saffron and experimented by adding diced strawberries.

I was happy with the result because I did not miss the fat and the delicately flavored and mildly sweet firni presented the perfect backdrop for the flavor of the strawberries to shine through! They also lent the firni a pretty pale pink color.

Talking about friends, I am also very fortunate to have met amazing friends through blogging and wish I could meet them in person. But until then, I am sharing this Low Cal Strawberry Firni with them here.

Cheers my dear friends!

Low Cal Strawberry Firni

• ½ cup Basmati rice washed, drained and set aside for 30 minutes
  • 1 cup water
  • A pinch of salt
  • 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated low fat or fat free milk
  • 3 tablespoons sugar or to taste
  • ¼ teaspoon vanilla essence
  • 4~6 strawberries, hulled and diced
  • Chopped pistachio nuts and additional strawberries for decoration

To Make the Low Cal Strawberry Firni

1. Grind the drained rice into a fine meal but not powder. I used a dry grinder/ coffee grinder.
  2. Boil the water, add the ground rice and the salt. Let the rice cook.
  3. Add the evaporated milk and the sugar and let it come to a low simmer over low heat.
  4. Cool to room temperature, add the vanilla essence and the diced strawberries.
  5. Top with pistachio nuts and additional strawberries and serve.

Note-

• If you want to thin the consistency of the Firni, you may add some low fat milk.

This delicately colored and flavored Low Cal Strawberry Firni is perfect for the spring and figure friendly for the summer, without compromising on taste! I am taking it to Angie’s Fiesta Friday co-hosted by  Laura @ Feast Wisely

Enjoy,

1. Archana says:

Looks so pretty!! I am sure it will taste amazing

Liked by 3 people

Thanks so much Archana. Yes it tasted yummy.

2. Check my story though different
      Photography 📷 defined in My Own Way 💋
      Let me admit…

I have never learnt photography from anybody but I do remember , I read a nice book on Photography in my school days.My Guru is my …

2. Richard Comings says:

I really loved your post today!! Lovely design, PERFECTION.

Liked by 2 people

Thanks so much! Did anything look familiar 🙂

3. Roopali says:

Good recipes as usual Sandhya. Strawberry Phirni sounds delicious. I am going to make it tomm. What a wonderful presentation & decor…

Liked by 2 people

Thanks so much Roopali. Do let me know how you like it.

4. rdhealthy says:

I have nominated you for the Blog- aholic Award. Please visit the link for more details https://rdhealthy.org/2017/03/03/%EF%BB%BFthe-blog-aholic-award/ This is my way of showing support for the wonderful work that you are doing.

Thanks so much! I really appreciate your kind gesture.

Thanks Anuradha!

1. My pleasure Sandhya.

5. So good and refreshing..

Liked by 2 people

Thanks so much Anjali! How are you? what is the weather like there now?
      We still have the cold weather.

1. It’s supposed to be autumn but it’s very hot still kind of .. 35 degrees !!

And we cannot get rid of the cold!

6. Sandhya
    I am a great Foodie too
    Though I know all how to cook but wife cooks awesome
    Check my story
    Photography 📷 defined in My Own Way 💋
    Let me admit…

Awesome!

What a wonderful treat for your friends Sandhya. Like you implied, all fresh, healthy and oh so aromatic I’m sure. So, did you cook it all yourself? I’m sure you did. Pot luck is so popular in this country isn’t it? It took me a long time to get used to it. Sometimes I prefer planning and preparing the entire menu myself as it is less chaotic in the kitchen 🙂 But so often friends insist on contributing to the menu. Your low cal strawberry firni, I know I will love, have always loved Indian desserts, and for sure I’d not feel any guilt drowning in that bowl of firni 🙂 Great job, now I’m craving a bowl of that deliciousness for breakfast 🙂

Thanks so much Loretta! Yes I made all the food.This was a get together for friends I walked with a few years ago.One of my friends who left the town, came back to visit. So I thought it would be nice to have the group together and catch up.
      I know what you mean about potluck. I like planning the menu around a theme and it throws me off if people come with something other than what they had offered to get…I need to chill, I guess:)
      For my ladies’ groups, the book club is not potluck whereas the craft group is. With all the multi-cultural women in the group, it is such a treat every time! I am the only Indian American in the group so have to make Indian food when I am hosting.

8. I have never made a dessert using rice but your pictures sure make it look delicious. Anything with strawberries and if it’s low-fat and still good gets my thumbs up 🙂 Lovely lunch – I usually like to control the food (unless it’s a big crowd) but there are some who always want to bring something. For me come with an appetite and some good fun 🙂

Thanks Judi. Yes it was a good light and delicately flavored dessert for my health conscious friends.I made all the food for this lunch and my book group friends also like to come for an Indian spread. I am fortunate to live in a very multi-cultural town so we get a variety of international cuisine at our book club meetings 🙂
      For my bigger sized craft group, it is potluck. Food takes on a central role in all our meetings though, which explains my involvement:)

9. Just yummy 😋
    Thanks Sandhya for such a live post ❤️

Thanks so much Sibananda!

10. Yum Sandhya – I was so happy to see an Indian treat as part of Fiesta Friday – as you know I love Indian food but haven’t really experimented with Indian desserts – this one looks like something I could tackle!

Thanks Laura! Hope you like it too.
      Happy FF!

11. How cool is that. I just posted a MangoPhrni recipe on my blog. Love the idea of stawberries… Have not tried cooking rice with water but great to reduce the calories…Love that pink….

Oooh I love mango, so will try the mango Firni too 🙂
      It is so nice to hear from you Sharvari!

12. Really like this low fat strawberry pudding I’m going to try it ! ❤

Thanks so much Emily for your sweet words and for the follow! The strawberry firni is perfect for the spring. Do let me know how you like it.

1. Yes it sounds like a spring dish, and it is like spring here today ! 😊

13. Liked the dishes and am sure all of you had a great time. Hosting at your own home is something great. I like it a lot. Your table is set to perfection and am in love with your strawberry phirni. Lovely recipe Sandhya.
    Meena

Thanks so much Meena! It is so nice to hear from you.I am so glad you mentioned my table. I have fun setting the table.
      Strawberry firni made a perfect spring dessert. Do let me know how you like it.

14. skd says:

Wow!Sandhya how I wish I were in your friends list. The menu is wonderful and low on calories. I am sure your friends left satisfied. Strawberries are in season here and your yummy dessert looks like a must try.

15. Saira19 says:

It looks so taste!
    Thanks for recipe!
    It is definitely spring dish 🙂

Thanks Saira ! Hope you enjoy it.

It is always wonderful to spend time with friends. This is a lovely dessert and so figure friendly. I can’t wait to try it out. By the way, I made your pasta and avocado chutney. It was delicious!

Thanks so much for letting me know Antonia! I just had a couple of friends text me that they loved it too.
      How is the weather in your neck of the woods? We are getting 4 inches of snow here tomorrow 😦

You’re welcome, it is such a great recipe! Spring has temporarily ended here too, but we just got an inch or so of snow. I was sneezing from pollen yesterday and bundled up playing in the snow today…go figure. Stay warm!

I know what you mean, Antonia. I see the tulip plants coming up and we are getting 8 to 10 inches snow tomorrow.
        Your honey wheat bread is on my mind 🙂

Wow, bundle up! I hope you enjoy it 😀

17. Too pretty to eat 😀

18. Sounds so delicious…

Thanks so much Ruchi! Have a fabulous weekend!

19. Pingback: Lin's Recipes