Delicately flavored, low calorie, low fat, gluten free Indian dessert perfect for the season!Super easy recipe!
They say that as adults, it is difficult to make new friends. I have been blessed to have made friends and am often enthralled by how we were meant to meet and how well we connect. I enjoy the relaxed chats I have with such friends….over food, of course!
I invited one such group of lovely ladies for an Indian lunch this week. They are all into fitness and exercise and inspire me to exercise and eat right. We started our lunch with The ever so popular, Mango Lassi !, papad and chaklis and then had chicken curry, vegetable korma, parathas, Cauliflower Rice Upma and mixed vegetable koshimbir salad- all made in signature Indfused style- healthy, with streamlined recipes and made with what is available locally.
So when I saw beautiful fresh, lush strawberries in the market, I decided to make a low fat, low calorie and gluten free, Strawberry Firni for dessert. Traditionally firni is made with rice cooked in whole milk and flavored with cardamom and saffron. I decided to cook the rice in water and then add evaporated skim milk instead. Also, I skipped the cardamom and saffron and experimented by adding diced strawberries.
I was happy with the result because I did not miss the fat and the delicately flavored and mildly sweet firni presented the perfect backdrop for the flavor of the strawberries to shine through! They also lent the firni a pretty pale pink color.
Talking about friends, I am also very fortunate to have met amazing friends through blogging and wish I could meet them in person. But until then, I am sharing this Low Cal Strawberry Firni with them here.
Cheers my dear friends!
Low Cal Strawberry Firni
- ½ cup Basmati rice washed, drained and set aside for 30 minutes
- 1 cup water
- A pinch of salt
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated low fat or fat free milk
- 3 tablespoons sugar or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla essence
- 4~6 strawberries, hulled and diced
- Chopped pistachio nuts and additional strawberries for decoration
To Make the Low Cal Strawberry Firni
- Grind the drained rice into a fine meal but not powder. I used a dry grinder/ coffee grinder.
- Boil the water, add the ground rice and the salt. Let the rice cook.
- Add the evaporated milk and the sugar and let it come to a low simmer over low heat.
- Cool to room temperature, add the vanilla essence and the diced strawberries.
- Top with pistachio nuts and additional strawberries and serve.
- If you want to thin the consistency of the Firni, you may add some low fat milk.
This delicately colored and flavored Low Cal Strawberry Firni is perfect for the spring and figure friendly for the summer, without compromising on taste! I am taking it to Angie’s Fiesta Friday co-hosted by Laura @ Feast Wisely