You know how you get excited to try out a creative that has been floating in your head? Well this Tandoori Salmon Pizza has been ‘swimming’ in my head for quite some time now but I had not been able to make it.
As you know, I love fish and cute fish shaped things- you will find plenty of platters and fish décor in my home. So I wanted to make my pizza fish shaped too. I am not a huge fan of salmon, but know that it is good for health and want to incorporate it in our diet. Honestly, the Tandoori Salmon tasted even better than I anticipated, which was a welcome surprise. It can be a meal by itself.
Tandoor, by the way, is an amazing clay oven used in India, which I wish I had. I do have a home style tandoor that my mother had given me but can only use in the summer. Or you could use the barbeque grill. But with 28 inches of snow outside and more falling as I type this, the home oven was my best shot ! The baking and broiling worked well and the salmon was tender and juicy.
I could go on about how easy it is to make this fun pizza but I am so eager to join Angie’s Fiesta Friday today and wanted to take something special to the anniversary party! The party is hosted by the super talented duo Nancy at Feasting with friends and Selma at Selma’s table . Hats off to the gracious and gifted Angie and to Nancy and Selma for a superb party! My dear friends, I hope you all like the Tandoori Salmon pizza as much as I did! See you at the party!
For the Tandoori Salmon Pizza-
- 1/2 pound thick cut fillet of salmon. I used Atlantic wild caught salmon thick fillet with skin on one side
For the marinade-
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt. I used Dannon plain non fat yogurt
- ½ inch fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled and grated
- 1½ teaspoons of store bought Tandoori masala powder, such as Shan or Everest
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
For the pizza-
- 1 package of store bought pizza dough
- ½ cup store bought pizza sauce. I used Trader Joe’s
- Fresh mozzarella, sliced. I used about 6 ounces of the mozzarella ball by Belgioioso
- 1 egg beaten with 1 teaspoon water for egg wash
- a few nigella seeds(onion seeds) for sprinkling (optional)
- sliced black olive for the eye 🙂
For greasing the baking trays I used olive oil
To make the Tandoori salmon Pizza
- Wash and pat dry the salmon fillet. Combine all the ingredients for the marinade and cover the salmon on both sides with the marinade. Let it marinate, covered, in the refrigerator, preferably overnight.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Remove marinated fish to a prepared baking tray and bake for about 14 minutes. Turn on broiler on high and broil for about 3 minutes.
- Let the salmon rest for about 10 minutes, covered loosely with foil. With a knife gently lift the fillet away from the skin and cut into chunks.
- Preheat oven to 550 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Roll out the pizza dough, top with the sauce , fresh mozzarella and the tandoori salmon chunks. Cut and fold edges of dough over to form the fish shape.
- Brush the dough with the egg wash, sprinkle the kalonji/ nigella seeds, add the sliced olive for the eye.
- Bake the pizza for about 15 minutes or until baked.
Enjoy! Have a great weekend everyone!