Shrimp Pickle Appetizer

makes 10 appetizers

Shrimp Pickle Appetizer
Shrimp Pickle Appetizer

Truth be told, I ate so much of the Shrimp Pickle Appetizer as I was photographing it, so what you see is one of the last ones in the photo. This is based on my mom’s recipe for shrimp pickle which I used to devour. And by devour, I mean eat it like a glutton. She made it like a curry that could be eaten with the chappati bread or with  warm fluffy rice! I thickened the curry with some besan flour to use it as an appetizer. So the ‘curry’ is  thick enough to stick the veggies in.

The shrimp pickle is not for the faint hearted- it is spicy, just like most of the Indian pickles are. So with all the colorful, tender veggies out in the spring, I wanted to try juxtaposing the pickle with the veggies. They cut down on the heat and went very well with the shrimp.It also makes us feel good that we have eaten our vegetables for the day:) I used the prebaked, ready to fill phyllo shells which add the crispy crunch to the dish.

I served the pickle at room temperature but it can be made the day before and refrigerated too. I am sure that your guests will love it…….only problem is not eating it before your guests arrive:)

Ingredients

• ½ pound (about 10 medium sized shrimp) cleaned and deveined
  • ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
  • 1½ teaspoon pickle masala, divided
  • 1 clove of garlic, grated
  • ¼ inch fresh ginger, peeled and grated
  • sea salt to taste
  • 1 teaspoon besan or chick pea flour
  • 1 teaspoon oil
  • ¾teaspoon black mustard seeds
  • 1/8 teaspoon asafetida or hing powder
  • 1 teaspoon dried tamarind pods, soaked in ¼ cup warm water to extract the pulp
  • prebaked phyllo cups and veggies to serve

To make the shrimp pickle-

1. To the cleaned shrimp, add the turmeric powder,1 teaspoon of the pickle masala, the grated garlic , ginger and the sea salt. Set it aside to marinate for a few minutes.
  2. Dredge the shrimp in the besan flour.
  3. In a separate pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the mustard seeds and the asafetida powder. When it sizzles, add the ½ teaspoon of pickle masala and stir for a brief second. Add the shrimp and stir fry it until opaque.
  4. Add the tamarind pulp along with the soaking water ,stir and let the shrimp cook, about 2 to 3 minutes longer.
  5. Adjust the salt, if needed and remove from heat. Let it cool to room temperature.

The mouth watering shrimp pickle
    The mouth watering shrimp pickle
  6. Serve along with the veggies in the phyllo cups.

The party tray
    The party tray

Hope you enjoy munching on them as much as I did! I am taking this Shrimp Pickle appetizer to the fun fiesta  at Angie ‘s at her new site FiestaFriday.net. Congratulations Angie and I hope you feel better soon. It is co hosted by Margie and Selma. Thank you ladies!

1. Sounds great, and the presentation is beautiful! 🙂

Thank you Ronit!

2. sue marquis bishop says:

How lovely!

3. Nina says:

Looks amazing!

Thank you Nina!

4. skd says:

Woohoo! Objet d’art…….

Thank you so much!!!!!

5. I just purchased some asafetida and am looking for ways to use it. What flavor does it add to the dish?

This looks delicious, I think I would have had to make a double batch if I wanted lanyard left.

Liz, asafetida is very strong and pungent. So I add very little. When added to hot oil or ghee, it sizzles and becomes fragrant. I guess it is used in Indian cooking as it is very good for digestion
      Thank you for your compliment on the shrimp pickle. I ate the whole thing myself:)

6. Love, love, love this appetiser! Looks too good to eat! The combo of shrimp & the pickle spices is awesome!

Thank you Naina. I ate the whole thing too:)

7. Sinfully Tempting says:

Talk about a delicious work of art! I’m happy I found your blog on Fiesta Friday…thanks for sharing! 🙂

Jeanette, you are so kind. I am glad I found you on Fiesta Friday too! So happy to meet you. I could so relate to the NY city ‘go go go’ lifestyle you described. I used to work in Manhattan a life time ago and now my daughter is there….yes I am 29 too:)
      I visited her last weekend and with all the fabulous restaurants there I could not make up my mind. So I said I will go pick up some of my favorites there-and she said “mom this is NY. we ‘seamless ‘ it- sure enough all the food varieties were delivered in 20 minutes:)
      I am still learning a lot with my blog too. You have done an awesome job with with Twitter. I still am not getting the hang of it:)
      And of course, your blog is AMAZING!!!

You are so kind, Jeanette. I am so glad I found you on FF too! You have an awesome blog!
      I could do relate to the NY fast paced lifestyle you described- I used to work there ions ago and now my daughter is there. When I wanted to pick up an array of food to eat while in NYC, she said ‘ Mom, this is NY. we seamless it” so all the food was delivered in 20 minutes:)
      I am new to blogging and still trying to get a hang of twitter and instagram etc..
      I sincerely appreciate your compliments about my blog!

Thank you so much, Serena!

Thank you Serena!

8. It looks beautiful 🙂

Thank you so much!

9. GFLife247 says:

Such a beautiful presentation and a tasty dish! Happy FF, and I hope you had a fantastic weekend! 🙂

Thank you Kaila! I loved the edamame salad you made. Am sure to make it soon as I am drooling over it now:)

10. What an innovative use of pickle spice, besan and prawns! Love this idea and also adore the presentation – they would be perfect with pre dinner drinks! Thanks so much for sharing and Happy Fiesta Friday!

Thank you so much Selma! What a great compliment coming from an amazingly talented person that you are.
      I am new to blogging and admire awesome blogs like yours !

11. What a presentation! I’m so bad at making my dishes nice… you seem to be very talented! Thanks for being at FF with these gorgeous appetizers!

Margherita,I thank you for the compliment but beg to differ about your presentations. They are simply awesome. I feel like reaching and grabbing those yummy rosemary and raisin buns and the Cocoa tart with white chocolate ganache and passion fruit jelly is simply a work of art!

1. It’s alway this way… we are never satisfied about what we do…. thanks a lot for your kind reply, very much appreciated!

12. Lili says:

That’s a very pretty and interesting pickle Sandhya! Great photo too! 🙂

13. The presentation looks really nice – perfect snack for party!

Thank you Indah! Yes it is a real popular appetizer at the parties.