Blueberry Lassi laced with Cardamom

Makes 1 cup of thick lassi

Blueberry Lassi! Cheers! Here's to summer!
Blueberry Lassi! Cheers! Here’s to summer!

How about a refreshing, cool Lassi to kick off summer? Summer officially began on Sunday! All kinds of fresh fruit and berries are abundantly available in the markets. In my mind, blueberries seem to take center stage these days with their super health food status and I have been using them in salads and desserts too.

This blueberry lassi laced with cardamom is packed with foods well known for their health benefits-Greek yogurt, blueberries, honey and cardamom. It is a versatile drink that can be had any time of the day. I had it at breakfast and loved it. Later I thought of having it again as dessert because my Indian taste buds associate cardamom with desserts. Hmmm….Blueberry Lassi, as my dessert…….now that would be a win win situation….could I finally see the scale tip the other way as I satisfy my sweet tooth?

• ½ cup fresh blueberries, picked over and washed
  • ½ cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
  • ¾ to 1 tablespoon honey, depending on the sweetness of the blueberries
  • 2 green cardamom pods, shelled and powdered
  • Pinch of sea salt
  • 2 tablespoons water to blend the lassi
  • Crushed ice to serve

To make the Blueberry Lassi-

• Simply blend all ingredients in a blender. It makes a thick lassi.
  • Serve the lassi over crushed ice.

Enjoy! Here’s to summer!

1. Love the color which the blueberries give to any kind of drink 🙂

Yes the color is so tempting, right?

2. Such a nice and refreshing colour!

Thanks! Yes I loved the color too.

3. Linda says:

Beautiful! Now I know what I can do with those two pints of blueberries my son brought home yesterday! 🙂

I know what you mean! I love blueberries and get the huge packs. But I have to use them quickly too.
      What a great son you have who brings these sweet berries home:)

1. Linda says:

He is a sweetie!

4. coconutcraze says:

That looks glamorous! Yogurt and blueberries…a marriage of two super foods! I like it!

Thank you so much!

Very nice Sandhya, love the color, and so healthy too. Love lassi myself, and yes, if this could be counted as dessert, we’d be laughing wouldn’t we. How about we’ll MAKE it dessert and watch the scale tip in our favor 🙂

Loretta, I really need to make it my dessert….the scale has tipped way too much at the other end… Just returned from a 3 day mini vacation to Nantucket island to celebrate our anniversary. I ate like there was no tomorrow- love all kinds of seafood and desserts:)

Ohhhh, congratulations on your Anniversary, and what a wonderful way to celebrate in Nantucket Island. I haven’t been there, but have always wanted to. It is probably not too far from you eh? We’re going to Quebec in a week or so to visit friends, and we want to stop in Vermont on the way and explore a bit. I haven’t been there, so looking forward to that too. I notice you are not on FF? I’ve been co-hosting this week and keep looking out for your submissions?

Thanks Loretta. It has been a hectic couple of weeks but I want to get back to FF. Thank you for reminding me. I have been missing the party and our friends.
        Vermont and Quebec both are my favorite. Love trips to Vermont with all the greenery and visiting Quebec feels like visiting France! Hope you have a great trip!

6. Wow Sandhya, this looks amazing! I think I’ll try it for breakfast too…yum 🙂

Thanks Antonia! Yes I did have it for breakfast also;)

I love almost all the flavorings (honey, yogurt and blueberries) but might have to leave cardamon off. I hope using a different spice would not hurt your feelings, Sandhya.
    I appreciate your sharing tasty and fresh recipes. I am trying new things recently.

Not at all, Robin. I have quite a few spices and herbs that I am not fond of myself. So I do understand.

8. This looks amazing! Can I use cardamom powder maybe a dash? Sounds so good! I am trying to eat more fruit so this is perfect!

Yes, cardamom powder would be perfec. And a dash is plenty.

9. srividhya says:

Beautiful and vibrant color.. perfect way to start the summer.

Thanks Srividya!