Kefir Mattha

Makes 2 cups

Cool off with this invigorating Kefir Mattha!
Cool off with this invigorating Kefir Mattha!

This 4th of July the weather forecast here is sunny and hot! Seeing everyone in the festive spirit, my thoughts travel to my childhood summers in India, where the hot summers coincided with the wedding season, which meant a season of big feasts!

Mattha was the ‘the’ drink served at such feasts. Traditionally made of buttermilk, it is a light and cooling drink. With the addition of fresh ginger, cilantro leaves and chili pepper, it also serves as a digestive aid. So this wonder drink is said to take care of the heat and the overindulgence 😉

Kefir Mattha in the United States is such a great example of fusion cuisine in this melting pot, don’t you think?

Hope  you enjoy this cool and rejuvenating drink!

• 1 cup kefir. I use skim or 2 percent milk for making it.
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • Sea salt to taste
  • ¼ teaspoon peeled and grated fresh ginger
  • 1/8 teaspoon grated fresh green chili pepper. I used serrano pepper.
  • ¼ teaspoon finely chopped cilantro leaves

To make the Kefir Mattha-

1. Simply whisk all ingredients together.
  2. Serve cold!

Happy 4th everyone! I am taking my refreshing Kefir Mattha to Fiesta Friday at Angie’s co-hosted this week by Julie and Josette. Do check out their posts for  fabulous dishes you could make for the 4th of July parties!

I like ginger and kefir mixture ingredients here 🙂 I hope your family has a wonderful weekend. Sandhya.

2. Its super hot here too Sandhya! I am also going to make some matha soon! Love the addition of kefir, must taste so refreshing!

Thanks Naina! Yes I am hooked on Kefir.

Thanks Naina! Yes I like kefir and am hooked on the taste now.

3. I’ve never tried mattha- it sounds so refreshing and your spice combination sounds wonderful. I hope you have a wonderful 4th celebration today!! Happy Fiesta Friday!

Thanks Josette! Yes it is refreshing and cooling in the hot weather.
      Hope you had a great 4th too!

Thanks Josette! Yes, Mattha is very cooling and refreshing.
      Hope you had a great 4th of July too!

4. I make a variation of this often…fantastic. Thanks for sharing and the refreshing pics. Happy 4th of July.

5. Where are you located, now?

I live close to Boston, MA. Whitney.

Thank you so much Stephy! I am so honored!

6. Thanks for this recipe. I can’t wait to try it!

7. Such a great idea and love Mattha combination with keffir 🙂

Thanks Molly!

8. Anne Murphy says:

I’ve used kefir to make a salt lassi (with cumin, usually.) A spicy ginger mixture sounds great!

Thanks Anne. I like the salt lassi with cumin too!

9. Priya says:

Kefir mattha would be perfect for this Chennai heat. Looks refreshing and delicious!

Thanks Priya!

10. This sounds so refreshing! I wish the heat would go away! It’s unbearable at times!

The buttermilk mattha is served at weddings in Maharashtra during the hot summer months .The temperature here has been in the 90s this week!