My Bostonian friends will agree with me that Jalapeno Poppah Aappa is a totally wicked appetizah! Aapah, btw, is singular for aape:)
You all know that I am going crazy with my aape pan! The charm of eating my favorite fried foods using just a couple of drops of oil, is very alluring to me.
I made dosa batter for my children who love dosas. So when my husband, who loves aappe, was looking for a quick bite before dinner, I thought of giving this appetizer a try, using the same batter. Psst…I love jalapeno poppers and was hungry too 🙂 Needless to say, it was an instant hit and loved by all!
I made two types- one using plain dosa batter and to another batch of the same batter, I added finely diced onion, jalapenos and grated ginger. The yummy cheesy stuffing is a mix of pickled jalapenos, light veggie cream cheese and cheddar cheese, just combined together.
To make them, in each of the indentations in the aappe pan I add a drop or two of oil or spray it with cooking spray. I use olive oil in the Misto spray can. I pour some batter in each, top with the cream cheese jalapeno mixture in the center, and cover it with some more batter. That easy! I cover the pan and let it cook on medium heat, about 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Crisp on the outside, fluffy inside and ooh so cheesy in the center!
Do try this quick and easy, healthiah, Jalapeno Poppah Aappah!
- Dosa batter- using basic recipe of 1 part urad dal to 3 parts of rice + some fenugreek/ methi seeds
- Sea salt to taste (if your batter does not have salt already added to it)
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 or 2 pickled jalapenos, diced
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
For the filling-
- 2 tablespoons light veggie cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated extra sharp cheddar or a combination of extra sharp cheddar and your favorite cheese
- 2 to 3 pickled jalapenos, diced (or to taste)
A teaspoon of oil or oil spray
To make the Jalapeno Poppah Aapah-
- To the dosa batter, add salt, if needed. If making the spiced batter, add the diced onion, jalapenos and grated ginger too.
- Mix together all the ingredients for the filling.
- Heat the appe pan on medium heat. Drizzle a couple of drops in each indentation or spray with oil. Add batter to each indentation until it is half full.
- Top with the cream cheese mixture. Add more batter on top, to cover the filling.
- Cover and let it cook for about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove cover, lightly brush aape with oil and turn them in the pan. Cook for another 2 minutes or so.
Have a great weekend everyone!