Butterscotch Toffee Sheera

Quick and easy Indian fusion dessert for the festival of Holi, welcoming spring.

Quick and easy recipe for Indian fusion dessert with cream of wheat and Jello instant pudding mix.
Butterscotch Toffee Sheera!
Butternut Toffee Sheera

Holi, the joyful Hindu festival, welcomes spring with vivid colors ! The legend behind it is one of victory of good over evil.

On the day of Holi, everyone is fair game as people color each other with vibrant color powders, colored water and water balloons. So imagine stepping out of the house, not knowing when and who is eager to splash some color on you! Growing up in India, we wore  old clothes as we knew they our clothes were going to get ruined on Holi day. It is all in fun of course, so more and more people join in. I remember the international students asking me about the festival and joining in exuberantly.

I also love Holi because this festival crosses barriers of age, religion, caste, economic class etc. Plus, splashed with all different colors, no one takes themselves seriously, old grievances seem trivial and foes become friends again. How nice is that?

No wonder then, that Holi has become very popular on college campuses here in the US too. I remember one tour at a school in the Midwest given by a student saying “And this is our Holi quad, where we play with colors”.

Of course no festival is complete without the food. In Maharashtra, puranpoli, a stuffed sweet bread, is traditionally made for Holi. It is extremely delicious, all drizzled with ghee….yum…. but also quite labor intensive.

The butterscotch toffee sheera (or kesari) is my experiment for a quick and easy, fusion dessert using the traditional ingredient, rawa (cream of wheat) and the Jello butterscotch instant pudding mix.  With this combination, I could still get that flavor with just 1/2 tablespoon of ghee or butter. My recipe below yields a soft and sticky ‘toffee like’ sheera which is not too sweet because I topped the warm sheera with cool butterscotch pudding ‘sauce’. If you like a grainier sheera, reduce the amount of milk by 1/2 cup and add more ghee to the recipe. Also I used milk with 1% fat but whole milk will also add more fat to it to make it grainier. Either way, it is absolutely yummy!

Butterscotch Toffee Sheera

For the sheera-

• ½ cup rawa or cream of wheat
  • 2 cups milk
  • 4 packed tablespoons brown sugar
  • Pinch of salt
  • 4 tablespoons pudding mix out of the 3.4 ounce box of butterscotch flavored instant pudding mix
  • ½ tablespoon ghee

For the sauce-

Additional milk and remainder of the instant pudding mix

For topping-

Colorful sprinkles

To make the Butternut Toffee Sheera

1. In a microwave safe dish, roast the rawa for 3 minutes or until roasted, stirring it after each minute. Set aside to cool.
  2. Heat the milk in a saucepan, over medium heat. As it comes to a low boil, reduce heat to low and stir in the roasted rawa. Stir continuously to avoid lumps. Cover and let the rawa cook on low, about 4 minutes or until cooked and fluffy.
  3. Add the brown sugar and salt and stir well. Sprinkle 4 heaped tablespoons of the butterscotch instant pudding mix over the cooked rawa and stir well to blend it in.
  4. Add the ghee, stir, cover and cook on low for an additional 2 minutes.
  5. Remove from heat.
  6. For the sauce, combine the rest of the instant pudding mix with additional milk to get a ‘sauce consistency’.
  7. Serve the warm Butterscotch Toffee Sheera drizzled with cool butterscotch sauce and topped with the colorful sprinkles.
  • Note-Cooking times for individual microwaves vary. The timing given above is based on my microwave oven.So do stir and check the rawa every 30 seconds after the first minute .

Enjoy! Wishing you all a Happy Spring! I am taking my warm Butterscotch Toffee Sheera and celebrating Holi with my friends at Fiesta Friday hosted by Angie, and her amazing co hosts,  Naina @ Spice in the City and Julianna @ Foodie On Board.

Wow Sandhya, this looks amazing!

Thank you so much Antonia!

2. Thank you Sandhya for the wonderful explanation about Holi. If only more holidays around the world would have such fun and joyful attitude, the world no doubt would be a better place. 🙂
    I love semolina and will definitely try this pudding. 🙂

Thank you so much Ronit! Yes I love how Holi is so inclusive and fun to watch everyone come together!
      The traditional sheera is made with cream of wheat, sugar, saffron and cardamom so I wanted to try a different take on it. I hope you like it.

1. I”m sure I will! 🙂

3. This is a festival I would enjoy – water balloons too! Butterscotch is a favorite flavor so I know I would enjoy this 🙂

Thank you Judi! Yes it is a lot of fun playing Holi with the colors. Water balloons were the most ‘feared’ as they were flung on to an unsuspecting target from some balcony or hidden spot…it was all in fun and everyone enjoyed it.

4. Uma Srinivas says:

Liked your version of sheera. The butterscotch flavor will increase the taste in this dish 🙂

Thank you so much Uma!

5. Holi sounds like a fun holiday and I love how happy it sounds, colorful and inclusive of everyone. It’s also amazing that the Holi quad was part of the tour of the school. Your dessert sounds delcious and such a creative and simple way to make this dish, I love cream of wheat and butterscotch so I already know I would like this. It’s a beautiful presenation as well, a gorgeous mold and colorfful sprinkes really are lovely.

Thank you so much Suzanne for your encouraging words, as usual. I love butterscotch flavor too and wanted to try incorporating that in the traditional sheera recipe made with cream of wheat, sugar , saffron, nuts and cardamom

6. tentimestea says:

This sounds delicious Sandhya, from the warm colours to the butterscotch flavour and the decadent-looking sauce! I love the colourful sprinkles you used–so bright and celebratory and perfect for Holi 🙂

Thank you so much! I am partial to butterscotch flavor:) I appreciate your kind comments.

7. Love the simplicity and the touch of health in all your dishes. Holi yes a good info on that. Being South Indian just have celebrated few times in college, other than that not much. But playing with colours are the best enjoyment. 👌🏼👍🏼👏🏻

Thank you so much Meena! I truly appreciate your kind words about my recipes. Yes playing with colors is so much fun!

8. Looks so delicious and tempting,Sandhya…

Thanks Swapna!

9. OMG, that is one of the richest, most delicious sheera I’ve seen Sandhya! and you had me at butterscotch 😀 Thank you for sharing at Fiesta Friday!! And Happy HOLI xx

Happy Holi to you to Naina. Your puranpolis really take the cake!

10. My wife loves all things butterscotch and I think she would flip for this sheera

I like butterscotch flavor a lot , Rahul. I am happy to hear that your wife loves it too! A little additional ghee will be ven yummier but I had to resist myself:)

11. Wow Sandhya Masta……I love the idea of butterscotchy/ caramel with sheera…..The best part are those wonderful clicks and presentation that add to the look and feel of the recipe…Happy Holi to you and family.

Thanks Sharvari. I love butterscotch flavor, so thought of combining the two:)

12. kushigalu says:

This is brilliant. Looks super delicious.

Thanks Kushi!

13. srividhya says:

Happy Holi. This is wonderful. Love the instant pudding mixes. Great share

Thanks Srividya. I like the ease of the instant pudding mixes too.

14. Dāsha says:

WOW 😃 now I’m craving this!

15. This is Vry easy n variety too !

Thanks so much!

16. Nandini says:

Sounds so rich and delectable Sandhya 🙂

Thanks Nandini!

This looks and sounds delicious, Sandhya! Iove homemade toffee and butterscotch flavors together~ you made it look so pretty, too. Hugs, Robin

Thanks so much Shruti! I am honored to be featured !

18. sweta says:

This is the kind of food I love. So beautifully presented! have featured it here! http://artsycraftsymom.com/best-indian-dessert-modern/