Traditional and Indian Fusion Sweets for Holi

With the Indian color festival of Holi next week, here are two sweets/ desserts-the traditional Puranpoli made easy with Instapot and microwave and Indfused’s Indian fusion creation- Butterscotch Toffee Sheera!

Indian #Puranpolirecipe made easy using #Instapot and microwave. #youtubevideoforpuranpoli #Indianfusionsheera #butterscotchtoffeesheera
Sweets for the Indian color festival of Holi!

Check out the video here-

A little about the festival of Holi from my previous post-

Holi, the joyful Hindu festival, welcomes spring with vivid colors ! The legend behind it is one of victory of good over evil.

On the day of Holi, everyone is fair game as people color each other with vibrant color powders, colored water and water balloons. So imagine stepping out of the house, not knowing when and who is eager to splash some color on you! Growing up in India, we wore  old clothes as we knew they our clothes were going to get ruined on Holi day. It is all in fun of course, so more and more people join in. I remember the international students asking me about the festival and joining in exuberantly.

I also love Holi because this festival crosses barriers of age, religion, caste, economic class etc. Plus, splashed with all different colors, no one takes themselves seriously, old grievances seem trivial and foes become friends again. How nice is that?

No wonder then, that Holi has become very popular on college campuses here in the US too. I remember one tour at a school in the Midwest given by a student saying “And this is our Holi quad, where we play with colors”.

Of course no festival is complete without the food. In Maharashtra, puranpoli, a stuffed sweet bread, is traditionally made for Holi. It is extremely delicious, all drizzled with ghee….yum…. but also quite labor intensive. I have tried to simplifymaking the puran or stuffing here using Instapot and the microwave.

Check out the video and recipe for Puranpoli for Holi, the festival of colors here.

And Indfused’s quick and easy sheera/kesari is delectable and sprinkled with the colors of Holi! Check out the Indian fusion recipe for Butterscotch toffee Sheera here.

Enjoy! Wishing you a very Happy Holi!

1. Megala says:

Love these delicious treats for Holi ! They look perfect & stunning !!

Liked by 2 people

Thanks so much Megala! What is your favorite Holi sweet?

1. Megala says:

Though we, south Indians, don’t celebrate Holi as much as north Indians do, thandai is my favorite that I love to make.

Sounds yummy!

2. Mayur says:

Like it…..yummy,

Thanks so much!

Thanks so much!

1. Mayur says:

Sandhya ji share more for holy special

3. Bhavana says:

Happy Holi in advance…
    Yes, Sadhya holi is incomplete without puran poli😋😋.

Liked by 2 people

Happy Holi to you and your family too Bhavana!

Liked by 2 people

4. Happy Holi, beautiful and delicious treats and I loved the video!

Thanks so much Suzanne!

Happy Holi Sandhya! Delicious treats, and I love the Butterscotch Toffee Sheera. Have a wonderful weekend! 😀

Liked by 2 people

Thanks so much Antonia! Wishing you a fabulous weekend as well.

Liked by 2 people

Oh gosh it looks ever so tempting Sandhya. So what is the stuffing in the puranpoli? I’m craving for one this very moment. Like the Holi festival, I only learned about it a few years ago, and even saw it in one of the films. It looks like a good time is usually had by all. Great video 🙂

Thanks Loretta. Are you guys back from your vacation/ honeymoon 🙂
      The stuffing is cooked chana dal with jaggery and cardamom. I love it too.
      Holi is so popular on college campuses here in the US too.
      Hopefully spring weather will be here soon. They do have a Holi celebration in our town nowadays too.

Thanks Loretta. Are you guys back from your vacation/ honeymoon 🙂
      The stuffing is cooked chana dal with jaggery and cardamom. I love it too.
      Holi is so popular on college campuses here in the US too.
      I cannot wait to see your recipes from Jamaica. It is so cool that you get a cooking lesson where ever you travel. i am going to remember to do that- fabulous idea!

7. jyo says:

Such a beautiful recipes for holi…i absolutely love the sheera…looks beyond amazing 💯

Liked by 2 people

Thanks so much! The sheera is quick and easy too.

Thanks so much!

8. arv! says:

I remember reading your puranpoli dish and asking what it was. This one is with a twist I suppose. A more modern version I keeping with times.

Liked by 2 people

Yes easier to make in today’s fast world. I remember us talking about Rajasthan’s sweet for Holi. Must be a fun festive time in Jaipur.

1. arv! says:

Not yet. The atmosphere builds up only in last two days. I have heard that there are grand celebrations in US on holi. RANA holi event is quite popular, I suppose.

Liked by 2 people

Holi is a popular event in towns with a lot of Indian Americans and on college campuses.

3. arv! says:

Great. Hoi is always about fun so it’s not surprising to hear this. Thanks for the information, Sandhya 😃

9. Beyoutiful says:

Holi is such a fun and colorful festival! Happy Holi to you too girl ❤

10. InspiresN says:

Wonderful share Sandhya, love puran poli ! It requires expertise to make I think and looks fabulous !!

11. HemasSphere says:

Yummy blog I must say. Would live to try your recipes. Will follow your blog. Pls keep posting.

I am relatively new to blogging. Love it when I come across blogs and posts like that of yours.
    Just 3 posts old here. I am working on a series of 5 and the 4th post is on the way here.Would be glad if you could drop by my blog.

Liked by 2 people

I just read some of your posts. You truly are a gifted writer. Thank you for visiting my blog and letting me know about yours.
      Looking forward to reading more of your posts.

1. HemasSphere says:

Thank you for those kind words.

12. This blog has touched my heart🌸

13. petra08 says:

I love reading your recipes, I have almost never heard of any of them and I learn so much! This sounds delicious. I have never celebrated Holi but I know there are events on in London. 🙂