Easy, fuss free, microwave recipe for a festive Indian fusion dessert halwa! Check out the taste of this ambrosial halwa that is vegetarian and gluten free too.
True story that happened in our home this week. As the festival of Dassera approaches, I was thinking of a festive dessert.
You all know about my fascination with spaghetti squash in the fall season. I have shared my Scrumptious Spaghetti Squash Upma and Spaghetti Squash Noodles in a Spicy Honey Hoisin Sauce with you before. So when I saw spaghetti squash in the market, I had to pick it up!
Back to my festive dessert….I started toying with the idea of a spaghetti squash dessert and 3~4 ideas came to mind. But this one jumped out-I have loved the taste of beetroot wadis I had in my childhood. So I thought why not combine the taste and texture of spaghetti squash with beetroot?
It seemed to be a brilliant idea (to me, of course) so I excitedly mentioned it to my husband and was met with a “Eeeeeeew”
But I decided to chart ahead undaunted and am glad I did! The taste is truly ambrosial! Guess who loved the Spaghetti squash and beetroot Halwa so much that he wanted seconds? Ha….. ha hubbies can be worse than kids sometimes, right 🙂
So here is the step by step-
I precooked the spaghetti squash in the microwave just as shown in the recipe for the Scrumptious Spaghetti Squash Upma. Then I also made the halwa in the microwave in 10 minutes.
Spaghetti Squash and Beetroot Halwa
- 1 cup cooked spaghetti squash strands
- ½ cup cooked shredded beetroot
- ½ cup evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ cup sugar
- A pinch of salt
- ½ cup milk powder
- ½ teaspoon cardamom seed powder
- Slivered pistachios nuts for topping
To Make the Spaghetti Squash and Beetroot Halwa-
- In a large sized microwave safe bowl, combine the spaghetti squash strands, shredded beet and the evaporated milk. Cover the bowl (I used parchment paper) and microwave on high for 5 minutes.
- Remove from microwave, stir and add the butter, sugar, salt and the milk powder. Microwave on high for another 5 minutes stirring once in between. Keep an eye on the bowl to make sure the mixture does not spill over.
- The mixture should pull away from the sides of the bowl. Add the cardamom seed powder and stir well. The halwa will congeal as it cools.
- Serve warm or refrigerated, topped with the pistachio nuts.
Note- Microwave timings are based on the quantity given and on my 1000W microwave drawer oven. Individual microwaves may vary.