Corn Hurda in Papad Bowl

Droolicious snack made with end of summer fresh grilled corn and served in an edible papad bowl!

India's favorite street corn served hurda style with red chutney in an edible papad bowl!
Corn Hurda in Papad Bowl!

Greedy foodie that I am, I recently tried a combination of two mouthwatering foods I liked in India…..and while I was at it, I also put it in an edible papad bowl 🙂 Fire roasted corn has always been my favorite. Fresh picked ears of corn grilled over coal then coated with a mix of lemon juice, salt and red chili powder is a popular street food. Invariably, I found the aroma of the grilled corn wafting through the air irresistible!

Hurda on the other hand is more of a countryside food event that kind of reminds me of a clambake. I had been to a Hurda party only once when I was a child. But the experience and taste has stayed with me to this day. Hurda is made from very tender jowar/ sorghum/ white millet stalks roasted in a pit in the ground. The stalks are then thrashed to shake the roasted grain off the stalks. It is served with a spicy chutney made of peanut and red chilies.

So when I recently found some fresh and very tender corn, my thoughts turned to combining the two for a lip-smacking good delight!

I grilled the ears of corn on the barbecue and removed the kernels as I did for the Raw Corn Koshimbir. To that I added sea salt, lemon juice and some finely diced onion and cilantro. I served it with a spicy red chutney made of peanuts, garlic, red chilies, salt and tamarind.

The papad bowls are my favorite edible containers. I made them just as I did for the Chickpea Salad in a Papad Bowl. I used a big size papad but you may also serve it in smaller individual sized papad bowls using smaller sized papad.

Corn Hurda in Papad Bowl

For the papad bowls-

4 regular sized or 2 big papad

For the spicy red chutney-

• ½ cup roasted peanuts
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder (or to taste)
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • ½ teaspoon brown sugar
  • 1 ½ inch piece of dry tamarind
  • Salt to taste

For the hurda-

• 4 ears of tender corn, grilled on the barbeque
  • Salt to taste
  • Juice of ½ lime
  • ½ small onion, diced
  • Handful of cilantro leaves, chopped

To make the Corn Hurda in Papad Bowls-

1. Make the papad bowls following step by step directions and photos shown here. Set aside.
  2. For the spicy red chutney, simply grind all ingredients for the chutney together in a dry grinder or food processor.
  3. When the grilled corn is cool enough to handle, scrape the kernels off with a knife as shown here
  4. To the tender kernels, add the salt, lime juice, onion and cilantro.
  5. To assemble the bowls- To the papad bowl, add the corn hurda, top with the red chutney and serve!

Hope you enjoy the corn hurda this weekend! I am taking my Papad Bowl of Corn Hurda to Fiesta Friday .I am excited and honored to be co-hosting Fiesta Friday again and look forward to seeing you and visiting your blog and chatting with you.  Do make sure to link your post to Angie@Fiesta FridayAntonia @Zoale.com and me@Indfused 🙂

Hope to see you all at the fiesta!

1. Archana says:

WOW! Lovely recipe. I love hurda.

Archana, I have had the authentic hurda

Archana,
      Hurda is so special, isn’t it ? I have had authentic farm hurda experience only once when I was little but the taste has stayed with me

1. Archana says:

It is an amazing experience I have been to a few hurda parties and they are so much fun! Hurda followed by Zunka bhakri 😋😋

2. This looks wonderful!

Liked by 2 people

Thanks so much Debbie!

3. Aruna says:

What a great idea!

Thanks Aruna! You know my love of chatpata foods and this one even has our favorite chutney on it 🙂

4. Yummy! Love this idea 🙂

Liked by 2 people

Thanks so much Sarah!

Thanks so much Arv!

Thanks Ruchi! I love chatpata foods. Another friend suggested that it would be great for movie night, so making it again:)

1. Wow… Enjoy movie with super snack

This looks so good Sandhya. I like eating my bowls whenever I can 😉 Seriously, this is a lovely dish and perfect to end the summer!

Liked by 2 people

Thanks so much my dear friend! i am having so much fun co-hosting FF with you this week!

Me too 😀 Have a wonderful weekend!

6. Your recipes are always so colorful and healthy too! I had to look up a couple of words (even though I kind of guessed what they were). A very simple, but full of flavor, recipe using one of my favorite summer veggies. Thanks for co-hosting… 🙂

Thanks so much Judi! I try to cook healthy most of the time but love to indulge every now and then too 🙂
      You are a pro at co-hosting FF. I am learning the ropes and having fun with Antonia as my co-host thsi week.

7. Ok, this is going down for next movie night. Drool!

Ooh…that is a great idea…..I never thought of making it for movie night! Thanks so much for your kind words too!

8. Madraasi says:

Wow looking great

9. surajamr says:

Just made and ate this bhel in the papad cups. Loved it! What an innovative idea, Sandhya:)

Liked by 2 people

Thanks so much for letting me know! I am so glad you liked it as much as I did.

10. I love corn cooked on the bbq and the peanuts with the chili spice sound amazing. All of the colors in this dish look delicious. Thank you for hosting FF this week too!

11. Nice to see corn as the hero of a dish Sandhya and happy Fiesta Friday of course!

12. iamuk says:

I have had hurda in Abhiruchi hotel, Pune sone 10-12 years ago. It was really tasty.
    I liked your innovative way of serving it in papad bowls. 🙂

Thanks so much! I have been to Abhiruchi many years ago.

I enjoy fishes with forms of corn in them, Sandhya. I appreciate how you get me to think outside the box!! 😀

Dishes not fishes! Oops! silly cell phone.

15. petra08 says:

I love sweetcorn and this looks great! I have never heard of papads,I must have a look as you make them sound so good 🙂

Petra, papads are sundried lentil wafers. They are generally deep fried, but I ‘roast’ them in the microwave.They are available in Indian grocery stores as well as some bigger grocery chain stores.
      Thanks so much for your sweet words.

1. petra08 says:

hi Sandya
        ah I see! I will keep an eye out for them and can’t wait to try:) Thank you and I hope your week is good! x

Thanks so much!

16. Wait, papad bowl?! Stop it already! That is so beyond clever! I love it, Sandhya! And I didn’t know you could cook papad in a microwave! As far as the hurda, I haven’t even heard of it before. I would have loved to go to a hurda party. Sounds so much fun! Thanks for cohosting! XOXO

Thanks so much Angie! I love those fried papads served in restaurants but I love them so much, I cannot stop eating them. So ‘roasting’ them in the microwave saves me calories….quickly used for savoring the entrees and desserts 😉
      But seriously, I like the taste of the microwaved papad…don’t miss the fried ones.

17. chefjulianna says:

This is brilliant! I am especially excited about how to make the papad bowl! The possibilities are just endless! Thanks so much for this post! 😀

Thanks so much! Yes I have papad flowers and a chick pea salad in a papad bowl on my blog too. Crazy for papad could have been my blog name:)

18. Suchitra says:

This corn papad bowl looks super delicious! Love all the flavors in it! I had never heard of Hurda corn before! Saving the recipe!

Thanks so much Suchitra! Hurda party on a farm was a rare opportunity when I was growing up but a blogger friend said that now it is offered at some of the farms/parks that offer ‘heritage foods and crafts’

Thanks Suchitra ! I hear that hurda parties are now trendy at heritage themed parks. When I was growing up they were a rare occurrence but very authentic.

19. Sumith Babu says:

Sandya, lovely recipe. With the chutney on it its out of the world!! And the photograph looks amazing!! Thank for this wonderful share.

Thanks so much Sumith!

Wow, I love your papad bowls. I don’t think I’ve seen them before, I checked your earlier post with your step by step illustrations. How clever!! My husband just loves papads, we too microwave them. I’m sure he’ll be one happy camper if I made these nutritious and healthy bowls. Well done!

Thanks so much Loretta! I am crazy about papads too.

Reblogged this on Indian and Indian Fusion Cooking in America and commented:

Dear friends,
    With fresh, tender corn flooding the markets now, I am making my ‘Fiesta Friday winner’ recipe- Corn Hurda in a Papad Bowl. The toasty, sweet hurda, the grainy peanut chutney and the crunchy papad bowl make for a great start to the weekend party!