Crowd pleaser, semi-homemade, vegetarian, appetizers that are a breeze to make!
Super bowl fever is at an all-time high this week and we are looking forward to watching the game with friends. Are you excited about the game….and the game day munchies? What are you making?
I am making these crusty, warm, cheesy pizza roll ups as appetizers. For this recipe I made a vegetarian filling of onion and cilantro. The combination of onion and cilantro is popular in Indian chaat recipes like Dabeli Style Roasted Sweet Potatoes, Corn Hurda in Papad Bowl and the Weekend Chat with a Scoop, to name a few. It tastes awesome as pizza topping too and you will love the flavor combination in these pizza roll ups.
For the chicken roll ups I am planning on making buffalo chicken filling like I did for the Buffalo Chicken Star Calzone.
I used packages of Betty Crocker pizza crust as it is super easy to use. I rolled out the dough very thin in a rectangle, spread my favorite Trader Joe’s marinara sauce and topped it with grated mozzarella cheese, onion and cilantro.
Roll up and cut. I cut them about ¾ inch thick this time but am going to cut them thinner for game day as there are many other munchies there and these can be quite filling.
I hope you try this easy and moreish appetizer and enjoy the game!
Easy Pizza Roll Ups-Game Day Appetizers
- 1 (6.5 ounces) pkg Betty Crocker pizza crust
- ½ cup Trader Joe’s marinara sauce, plus more to serve
- 3/4 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 small red onion, diced
- Handful of cilantro leaves, chopped
- Extra virgin olive oil to grease the pan and to brush on top
To make the Easy Pizza Roll Ups-Game Day Appetizers-
- Mix the pizza crust mix according to directions on the package.
- On a floured surface, roll out the dough to about 1/8 inch thick in a rectangle.
- Top with the marinara sauce, cheese, diced onion and cilantro. (see photo)
- Roll up the dough into a log starting from the shorter end of the rectangle. Seal edges.
- Cut the log into slices, about ½ inch thick. Arrange them in the pregreased pan. (see photo)Brush with the extra virgin olive oil.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree Fahrenheit oven for 20 minutes. Cover top with an aluminum foil and bake for another 10 minutes, or until golden and crusty.
- Serve with additional marinara dipping sauce.
Enjoy! Go Pats!