Pineapple Russam

Vegetarian, vegan, gluten free, sweet, sour and peppery soup to welcome Fall!  Can be served hot or chilled!

Gluten free,vegetarian,vegan, low-cal, quick and easy recipe for a pineapple soup that is perfect for fall!
Simply delectable Pineapple Russum

Fall has officially begun! I am one of those people who is saddened to see summer end. I love the warm weather and the cool desserts.

This week the transition to warm foods was made for me by this horrendous cold I caught. My head and my throat hurt a lot. I was moping around the house thinking of warm soothing soups when I remembered reading somewhere that pineapples are good to get rid of congestion. Plus pineapples remind us of warm tropical vacations, right? But I did not have the energy to go out and get a fresh pineapple so decided  a canned one would have to do 🙂

To the pineapple puree, I added ginger, black pepper and turmeric all known to chase a cold away plus some spices and lemon for good measure and for good taste. The sweet, sour peppery russam was finished with a  touch of coconut milk for a nice smooth finish.

This delectable russam reminded me of a cold pineapple soup I had at a fancy restaurant a few summers ago. I devoured this russam hot and my throat thanked me for it, but I am sure this Pineapple Russam will taste awesome chilled too.

And yes….I have chased my cold away….thanks for asking 🙂

Mmmm the aroma of the toasted spices!

Pineapple Russam

• Servings: 4 cups

Spice mix-

• ¼ teaspoon coriander seeds
  • ¼ teaspoon black peppercorn
  • 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
  • 2 dry red chilies

For the Pineapple Russam broth-

• 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple rings in pineapple juice
  • 2 cups water
  • ¼ inch slice of peeled ginger, bruised
  • 1 ½ teaspoons sugar/ brown sugar or stevia
  • 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
  • Salt to taste

For the tempering-

• 1 teaspoon oil
  • ½ teaspoon urad dal
  • ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
  • 1 green chile split in the middle (optional)
  • 5~6 fresh curry leaves
  • 1/8 teaspoon asafetida powder
  • ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder

• 1/3 cup coconut milk

To make the Pineapple Russam-

1. Dry roast the coriander seeds, peppercorns, cumin seeds and dry red chiles until they are fragrant and change color slightly. Remove from heat, let cool and grind together. Set aside.
  2. Reserve 2 rings out of the can. Blend the rest with the pineapple juice.Makes 2 cups of the blended puree. Add the water, ginger lemon juice and salt.
  3. Heat the oil in a deep sauce pan over medium heat. Add the urad dal, mustard seeds, chile (if using) and the curry leaves. When the mustard seeds star to sputter, add the asafetida powder and turmeric powder.
  4. Pour the broth and add the ground spice mixture. Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
  5. Add the coconut milk, stir and simmer for another minute.
  6. Serve with wedges cut out of the reserved pineapple rings.

The weather is getting cool this weekend.Taking my Pineapple Russum to Fiesta Friday co-hosted by the fabulous duo –Mollie @ The Frugal Hausfrau and Johanne @ French Gardener Dishes.

I hope you enjoy the unique flavor of Pineapple Russum !

1. utkarsh7668 says:

i will try to make it

Thanks so much!

Such a lovely soup Sandhya! I am glad you are feeling better! We had a cold in the house this week too…..not a good beginning to the season. My daughter loves pineapples and I have to try this 😀

Thanks Antonia! I guess it must be the change in weather that is causing these colds.
      Hope you all are doing well now.

3. skd says:

Coconut milk in rasam!! Who else could think of that. Looks like a must try Sandhya. Get well soon 🌻

Thanks so much Ana! I figured if pineapple and coconut taste good together in pina coladas, why not rasam, right 🙂

4. Love pineapple rasam.. though I make it different way this is so good

Thanks so much Lathiya!

5. Such wonderful combination of flavors you have here Sandhya, Looks so very tasty and I’m glad to know it also has healing properties. Glad you feel better. 🙂

Thanks so much Ronit!

6. Archana says:

yummy rassam! Just in time for the winter. Glad you are feeling better.

Thanks so much Archana!

7. Looks wonderful Sandhya, glad you are feeling better 🙂

Thanks so much Marisa!

8. Maha says:

Name of the recipe itself inviting me. Yummy yummy rasam

Thanks so much Maha!

9. As your fall starts Sandhya my spring has begun – both great seasons and so much better than Winter. I made a huge batch of pineapple pickle this year and loved it – never thought of pineapple as the base of a main dish so thanks for the inspiration!

Laura, I love spring and fall too! Pineapple pickle sounds so delicious too. I love the flavor of pineapple and when I read it is also a good decongestant, the russum soup came to mind .
      Happy spring to you!

10. That looks super awesome Sandya.. love it!!

Thanks so much Swapna! It is one of my favorites too.

Thanks Utkarshini!

11. Cold or not this Pineapple Russam sounds delicious. Such an interesting recipe – I am always amazed at the flavors of Indian cuisine. Glad you are feeling better Sandhya 🙂

Thanks so much Judi!

12. Sumith Babu says:

This is a must try for me Sandhya. Coconut milk in rasam hooked me in this post. Thank a lot for this share:)

Sumith, thanks so much! I love coconut milk and it went so well with this pineapple rasam!

1. Sumith Babu says:

Hi Sandha, love your blog!! And your innovations!!

Thanks so much Sumith. These compliments mean so much to me , coming from an amazingly talented person like you!

13. This looks delicious Sandhya!

Thanks so much Zeba!

14. Looks awesome Sandhya. Since long wanted to try. Thank you so much for great share

Thanks Ruchi!

15. I bet this soup creates the most amazing aroma in the home Sandhya! Gorgeous. My husband is in Delhi this week for work and I sure hope he gets to enjoy s soup as tasty as yours!

Thanks so much Johanne! The flavors in the is soup are more south Indian but Delhi will have foods from all over India and the world!

16. Oh my gosh, I’m stunned by these flavors! Wow! Thanks for stopping by Fiesta Friday and sharing it with us all!

Mollie

Thanks so much Mollie!

Just reading through these ingredients, I know I will want a bowl right NOW, Sandhya 🙂 I certainly hope it cured your sniffles and achy bones. The addition of the coconut milk had to have given it a smooth and velvety texture. There’s nothing quite like soup to overcome that nastiness. It has gotten so darn cold here today, after experiencing temps in the 90’s all of last week. Don’t think I’m quite ready for this just yet, but hopefully it will warm up pretty soon again. I was so glad to see that you and hubby finally made your trip out west, would loved to have seen more pictures of Buchart. Welcome back!

Thanks Loretta. Traditional russum does not have coconut milk but since mine was with pineapple, I thought if it works so well with pina colada, why not soup, right 🙂
      The temperatures dropped here too- it was 32 degrees this morning after a warm weekend.
      We had a great trip. We went to Seattle, Vancouver and Victoria.And of course, we ate many of the local favorites!

18. Once a long time ago, someone brought tomato rassam to Fiesta Friday and I’ve been haunted by rassam since 😄😄 I just need to try it! Now I have this pineapple version, too. Guess which one I’m going to try first?! Do you even need an answer?! 😄😄 Btw, when can you cohost again? I need cohosts this Friday and next week, too. Pls let me know.

🙂 I love the flavor of pineapple too, Angie!
      I will be happy to co-host this Friday!

1. You’re it! Thanks! You have a first-time cohost as your partner, Antonia @ Zoale.com. See you Friday, I’m looking forward! 😘😘

Looking forward to it too. Antonia is such a sweet person. I am happy to be co-hosting with her. Thanks Angie!

19. petra08 says:

hi Sandhya
    What a showstopper! This sounds absolutely amazing! I might have to cook this today as it sounds so lovey, if not at least over the weekend! The flavours going… 🙂 thank you for sharing this, I can;t wait to try it!

20. I love the sound of your sweet and sour soup, perfect for this time of year. Hope you’re feeling better & thanks for hosting the Fiesta party this week.

Thanks so much Sarah! Yes I am feeling much better and having fun co-hosting FF whereit is hard to move away from your elderberry custard tart 😉

21. nancyc says:

This sounds so delicious! I never would have thought of making a soup with pineapple, but it sounds wonderful!

Thanks so much Nancy!

22. Madraasi says:

Looks yum Sandhya, bookmaked

Thanks so much Deepa! Now thats a true compliment coming from Madraasi-a tamilian tales, right 🙂

1. Madraasi says:

Yeah sure will try it soon and will update in blog.

Sandhya, so sorry to read of your cold, dear. ❤
    I like soups cold in summer and warm (and spicy) in the cold weather. This pineapple sweet and sour soup (rassum) sounds delicious and will be on my shopping list a little later in the fall! 🙂

Thanks so much!

24. I make chicken soup for colds and flus. Works every time. However the Pineapple is very good for raising immunity and will certainly help in a flu or cold. Add spices and it is a healthy soup for sure. Will give it a try one day.

Thanks so much Rita!. I was thinking of you when I posted the Shakshuka. I remembered the Parsi dish with spinach and eggs I used to make from my mom’s recipes.