A Valentine’s Day Special Salad!
When it comes to Valentine’s Day, I start picturing rich indulgent foods and desserts. So, to balance it out, I thought I could start with a salad perfect for Valentine’s Day.
You know how much I love edible containers. No surprise then that I wanted to make a Parmesan Nest Bowl. I also wanted some zing to it. So added minced Jalapenos to the Parmesan. It takes only a few minutes to make the nest bowls and they can be made ahead of time.
Check out these step by step photos-
For the salad, in my opinion, the Shaved Brussel Sprouts, Mung Dal and Pomegranate Salad, The Massaged Kale Salad with coconut curry dressing or the Cranberry, Avocado and Pear Relish would all go well. I would replace the cranberries with pomegranate arils this time of the year. I used what was on hand- mixed greens, dried figs, pear and walnuts, tossed in Indian spiced tempered oil and a spritz of lime juice.
The bowl and the birds are really quick and easy to make. You know I lack patience. The birds are made out of carrots and red cabbage using a knife and a peeler. Cloves make the eyes and the beaks are chili peppers.
Parmesan Crisp Nest for the Lovebirds
For the bowl
- 1 teaspoon of finely minced jalapeno (or to taste)
- ¾ to 1 cup shredded Kraft Parmesan cheese , depending on the size of your bowl
For the Lovebirds-
- Carrots for the body, red cabbage for wings and tails, cloves for eyes and chili peppers for beaks
Salad choice suggestions- Shaved Brussel Sprouts, Mung Dal and Pomegranate Salad, The Massaged Kale Salad with coconut curry dressing or the Cranberry, Avocado and Pear Relish
To Make the Parmesan Crisp Nests-
- In a non- stick pan, over medium heat, add half of the finely minced jalapenos. Stir to let them dry for about a minute.
- Sprinkle half the shredded cheese on top in a circular shape and let it melt. See photo.
- When the cheese is melted and looks golden on the underside, gently flip it. Let it ‘cook’ on the other side for about 30 seconds or so.
- Immediately put it in the bowl you want to shape it in. Let the shape set. It takes only a few minutes to cool down and be crisp.
- Repeat steps 1 to 4 with the other half of the chilies and Parmesan cheese.
- The Parmesan nest can also be set on a bowl kept upside down.
- You may use other flavorings to spice up the Parmesan nest 🙂
Don’t you think this Lovebird Salad sets the mood for Valentine’s Day dinner? I want to find out what my friends at Angie’s Fiesta Friday think. This week’s co-hosts are the super talented Ai @ Ai Made It For You and Petra @ Food Eat Love.