A streamlined, healthy, one pot, weeknight meal packed with protein! Instapot recipe!
I have a question for all you foodies. When you set out on a fun trip, is food the first thing on your mind? I have to admit that for us, it is so. And this recipe is inspired by my recent foodie crawl during our 4 day trip to New York City and to New Jersey. Slightly embarrassed by my gluttony, I am sharing only some of the photos here……
We started with a lobster lunch in New England itself…lest we miss our lobsters 🙂 We met friends and family and caught up over delicious Indian and Thai food. In NYC, I loved the simit sandwiches and yogurt lunch at Chobani and the Ramen slurp bowls for dinner. We went to Edison New Jersey, which is like visiting mini India. I had my fill of yummy chat recipes like dabeli, bhel, paav bhaji, dosa and dahi vada.
My recipes for these on Indfused, are the healthy versions, which we enjoy guilt free at home. This foodie crawl was far from healthy, and my guiltiest pleasure was the authentic Hyderabadi Biryani in Edison. It was delicious but, oh so heavy! I am crazy about biryanis, so I wanted to come home and have that same taste with the least amount of oil or ghee, more protein and also a streamlined recipe that is easy to put together even on a week night!
I decided to try a chicken biryani using quinoa instead of rice and making it in the Instapot, imitating a dum recipe. Dum is when the cooking pot is sealed to lock in all flavors. I am very happy with this recipe for a protein packed, one pot, mouthwatering Quinoa Chicken Biryani. The step by step photos show how easy it is to make-
Disclaimer:We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. When you click and buy through this site , it helps us earn to keep this site running.
Quinoa Chicken Biryani in Instapot
To marinate the chicken-
- 1 teaspoon grated garlic
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoons store bought biryani masala
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- Juice of ½ lime
- About 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 skinless, boneless, chicken thighs, cut into about 2 inch pieces. ¾ cup chicken pieces
Other ingredients for the biryani-
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 small garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 large red onion, sliced thin
- A pinch of salt
- 3 plum tomatoes diced finely
- 1 large fistful of cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 small fist fresh mint leaves, chopped
- ¾ cup toasted quinoa. I used Kirkland organic quinoa.
- ¾ cup hot water
- Additional ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon saffron crushed in 2 tablespoons warm milk (optional)
To make the Quinoa Chicken Biryani-
- Combine all ingredients for the marinade, add the chicken pieces and toss to coat. Set aside for at least half an hour while you finish the prep for the biryani or preferably marinate it overnight in the refrigerator.
- Heat the Instapot on sauté mode. Add the oil, garlic cloves and bay leaf.
- Add the sliced onion, stir and sprinkle the pinch of salt. Stir fry until the onion caramelizes. See photo 2 and 3 above.
- Add the marinated chicken along with all the marinade. Stir well and spread on the bottom of the Instapot.
- Layer the tomatoes, cilantro and mint on top.
- Add a layer of the toasted quinoa. See step by step photos above.
- Add the ¾ cup water and ½ teaspoon salt. Switch off the Saute mode, close the Instapot and press the rice button.
- Quinoa Biryani is ready in 14 minutes!
- If using the saffron mixture, open the lid after natural release. Drizzle the saffron mixture in holes poked in the cooked quinoa to distribute the saffron flavor all around the biryani! Yum!
Wishing you a scrumptious weekend! I am looking forward to sharing my foodie adventures and my Quinoa Chicken Biryani with my foodie friends at Angie’s Fiesta Friday co-hosted by the talented and lovely Suzanne @ apuginthekitchen and Monika @ Everyday Healthy Recipes.