Two gluten free party appetizers made with delectable fusilli in avocado sauce!
As kids, we were told not to play with our food? But fusilli with its fun shape begs me to be creative 🙂
With this recipe for healthy quinoa fusilli baked in avocado chutney sauce, I could create the baked fusilli cups and these appetizer plates with Christmas trees.
I used Tresomega’s Quinoa Pasta for this recipe.They are available at Tresomega.com. Sams.com, Amazon.com and Walmart.com. Check them out at http://www.tresomega.com/ and on FB and Twitter. In full disclosure,the quinoa fusilli pasta that I used in this post was provided to me at no cost by Tresomega nutrition.
Avocado chutney sauce tastes sensational with pasta and is so easy to make and packed with nutrition. It has become a favorite in our home. With its festive green color, it is perfect for the season. You can add in some chopped red peppers to decorate as well.
I guarantee you kids of all ages will be happy about the lip smacking taste of these appetizers 🙂
Quinoa Fusilli Cups
- 8 ounces Tresomega Quinoa Fusilli Pasta, cooked according to package directions
For the avocado chutney sauce-
- 1medium sized ripe avocado
- 1 small clove of garlic
- A handful of cilantro leaves and tender stems
- ½ teaspoon honey
- Juice of 1 small lime
- 1 cup water
- Salt to taste
- 1/8 cup extra virgin olive oil
For the topping-
- ½ cup grated fontina cheese
- ½ cup gluten free bread crumbs
To make the Quinoa Fusilli Cups-
- Cook the quinoa fusilli according to package directions. Drain and set aside when done.
- Meanwhile, in a blender, combine all ingredients for the chutney sauce except the extra virgin olive oil. Blend until smooth. With the blender running on low, add the extra virgin olive oil in a stream until it is well blended into the chutney sauce, about 30 seconds. Remove into a bowl.
- Add the cooked and drained fusilli pasta to the bowl and toss well until it is coated with the sauce.
- Pour the pasta with the sauce into 8 silicone baking cups. Top with the cheese and the gluten free bread crumbs.
- Bake in a 350 degree Fahrenheit oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the breadcrumbs are golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes. Serve in baking cups or remove from cups and serve on a plate.
- Alternately this can also be baked together as a casserole.