Tricolor recipes to celebrate Indian Independence Day! Fun recipes to make and enjoy with kids! Nutritious and nectarous Overnight Oats in Coconut Milk, Tiranga Vegetarian Sandwiches, Cool Crisp Cucumber Cups stuffed with carrot koshimbir!
India celebrates Independence Day on August 15th. It is a holiday celebrated in all the states but with huge pomp in New Delhi, India’s capital.
Growing up in India, we woke up early morning to attend the flag hoisting ceremonies and parades at our school every year. Some years our school participated in a huge parade where all schools came together to celebrate and sing patriotic songs. India’s flag and its tricolors were all around us.
That is my inspiration for these easy tricolor foods that kids will enjoy making and eating with the adults.
Kids are sure to wake up early for these nectarous Overnight Oats in Coconut Milk for a healthy and yummy breakfast.
These easy to make sandwiches area favorite for kids of all ages!
Cool Crispy Cucumber Cups is a cooling snack that everyone looks forward to. Cut cucumbers in pieces and scoop out the middle with a melon baller. Let everyone fill them up with nutritious carrot koshimbir and watch them being gobbled up! What a healthy, delicious snack!
Cool Crispy Cucumber Cups
- 2 long tender cucumbers. I used English cucumbers
For the carrot koshimbir-
- 1 ½ teaspoon olive oil or a combination of olive oil +ghee
- 1 small Thai chili pepper, slit vertically, keeping the stem end intact( optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon hing or asafetida powder
- 1 heaped cup finely grated carrots
- 1/3 cup dry roasted peanuts, crushed lightly
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- Thick strained yogurt or Greek yogurt
- Chili powder or paprika for dusting (optional)
To make the Cucumber Cups-
- Wash and dry the cucumbers. Cut them into about 1¼ inch pieces. Scoop out the centers with a melon baller. Set aside.
- Heat a small frying pan over medium high heat. Add the olive oil and ghee (if using). Add the green chili (optional), mustard seeds, cumin seeds and asafetida. Fry the spices for about 15 seconds. When the mustard seeds start to sputter, remove the pan from the heat and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the grated carrots with the crushed peanuts, sugar and salt.
- Combine the lime juice with the tempering (oil+ ghee + spices) in the frying pan. Pour it over the vegetables and mix well. Remove the chili pepper and discard it.
Special tip- Use the mellon baller as scoop to fill the cups!
Have a great weekend everyone!