Almond Kheer to start the New Year!

Serves 2

Almond Kheer!
Almond Kheer!

Auspiciousness is huge in the Indian tradition, that I grew up in. I relate it to positive thinking. It is praying, wishing and believing that all will go well. On auspicious occasions, sweets are first offered to the Gods and then distributed to all as ‘prasad’. Kheer is offered to the Gods during many festivals, all over India.

Kheer is a sweet pudding made commonly with rice or thin noodles called seviya that are cooked with other ingredients like milk, cream, sugar, ghee, raisins and nuts. Rice kheer seems to be a staple in many Indian restaurants in the United States, so many of you may know about kheer.

I decided to start off  Indfused for 2015 with Almond Kheer! I used nutrient rich almonds for this kheer, instead of rice or seviya. The blanched,  peeled and ground almonds lend a creamy texture and combined  with the ground cardamom seeds, create a light and delectable flavor that screams PARTY TIME to the taste buds ! And like most of my cooking, this kheer is on the lighter side without compromising on the taste. So no worries about sticking to my new year’s resolution here 🙂

Here’s to a propitious 2015!

• a large fistful or about 30 almonds with skin, blanched and peeled or plain Marcona almonds. I got mine at Costcos
  • 1 + ¼ cup milk, divided.
  • ½ teaspoon ghee
  • ¼ cup sugar
  • ½ teaspoon ground cardamom seeds
  • dried rose petals and pistachios for topping

To make the Almond kheer-

1.  In a  blender, combine the almonds with  the ¼ cup milk and blend it to a fine paste.
  2. Heat the ghee in a saucepan, over low heat. Add the ground almond paste and roast it for a minute or so over low heat.
  3. Add the 1 cup milk and stir well to combine. Add the sugar and let the mixture come to a low boil.
  4. Stir well and let the kheer simmer for about 2 to 3 minutes.
  5. Remove from heat. Add the cardamom seed powder and  stir well.
  6. Almond kheer tastes delicious warm or cold. It thickens slightly as it cools.
  7. Serve, topped with the rose petals and pistachios.

Cheers! I am joinng the New year’s party at Fiesta Friday with Angie@ The Novice Gardener, Mr Fitz @CookingwithMrFitz and Kaila @GF Life 24/7.

1. Lovely way to start the year, Sandhya. Happy New Year

Thanks Aruna! Happy New year to you too!

2. Happy New Year Sandhya! 🙂 Auspiciousness is big in my family too and we start with Rice and Coconut milk with treacle!!
    This sounds delicious! I love kheer and it would taste amazing with Almonds!

Thank you so much Dini! Rice and coconut milk with treacle sounds delicious too!
      Happy new Year to you too!

3. Jui says:

Hi sandhya,

Happy New year! This seems like a delicious kheer. Will try it out soon. I love your one dish meal recipes like different wraps and salads. Healthy, flavorful and quick to make. May I request more of these recipes…

Hi Jui,
      I am so glad to hear from you and your request. I will surely write more of those. With your two little ones, those will be easy for you.
      I am in India but will write them when I get back

4. Mr Fitz says:

what a lovely dish to bring to the first fiesta of 2015! thanks for sharing!

Thank you so much for hosting! I am honored to mingle with so many talented bloggers at the Fiesta!

1. Mr Fitz says:

Pleased you joned!

How beautiful Sandhya, I don’t think you need to take any more lessons, your photo is gorgeous, and your kheer sounds amazing! 🙂

Thank you so much Loretta! You are too kind!

6. Kaila511 says:

I always enjoy learning about different traditions and holidays through your blog! I love the positive nature behind Auspiciousness, and of course the almond kheer looks delicious. Thank you so much for bringing it to the fiesta; I’m sure it will be gone quite quickly. Happy 2015!

Thank you so much Kaila! I really appreciate the kind words.
      Happy 2015 to you too!

7. I love kheer, and almonds would make kheer even yummier. 🙂

Thank you so much Sadia!

8. nina2018 says:

This looks so delicious! So glad I found your blog 😉

Thank you so much, Nina! I am so glad that you stopped by. You have an awesome blog which is helping so many young children. Great work!

1. nina2018 says:

Thanks for your kind words Sandhya!