Recipes passed down the generations are my treasured heirlooms. They have been passed down from my grandmothers to my mother and from my incredibly talented mother, to me. I am happy that now my son and daughter are following the same recipes- well, for some recipes, essentially the same. I have modified some recipes for them so they are easy to make in todays hectic world and are also healthier ( at least that is what I think) versions of the original recipe. And you know me! I am not willing to compromise on the original taste of these dishes. Zunaka is one such dish. Some of the other dishes that I have posted like rice bowl with fish curry , Pithaley and rice bowl with potato curry are also heirloom recipes that I have simplified.
Zunaka is a vegetable dish that is very popular in Maharashtra, India. Mention Zunaka to any Maharashtrian and they will tell you that it is the most earthy food that they can think of. Zunaka is a staple food of the farmers and for folks living along the country side and is eaten with warm and toasty bread called bhakri. Zunaka is made generally with some fresh greens like scallions which are spiced and combined with besan or gram flour, which adds the protein content to the dish.
I have used broccoli here as I like the texture of the crisp broccoli in the zunaka, not to mention it being nutrient rich. Fennel seeds and amchoor (dried mango powder) are not traditional to Maharashtrian cuisine but I love how these two ingredients juxtapose with the taste of besan.
Enjoy this quick and easy 7 minute microwave recipe that I am glad I developed ! My family loves it so much that I get asked to make it again and again! I hope your family enjoys it as much as mine does.
- 1½ tablespoons + 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil, divided
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon asafetida powder
- ½ teaspoon sesame seeds
- ¼ teaspoon fennel seeds
- 5 or 6 fresh curry leaves
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder ( or to taste)
- ½ teaspoon coriander seed powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin seed powder
- 2 cups chopped broccoli,florets and stems
- salt to taste
- 1¼ tablespoons brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon amchur powder (dried mango powder)
- 1/2 cup besan mixed with 1/2 cup laddoo besan
To make the zunka-
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine the 1½ tablespoon extra virgin olive oil with the next 11 ingredients. Microwave on high for 2minutes. My pictures are not that great, but they will give you an idea of what the mixture looks like.
2. Add the broccoli, salt, brown sugar and amchur powder . Mix well and microwave again on high for another minute.
4. Microwave the mixture for 2 minutes on high. Stir well and microwave for another minute.
5. Drizzle the zunka with 1 teaspoon of the extra virgin olive oil and microwave for one minute more. 7 minutes total in the microwave!
Yummy zunka is ready!