To me, Raitas are the ‘cool’ salads that are served with many Indian meals. I feel that they compliment the spicy entrees very well. I am particularly fond of the yogurt based raitas, as you may have noticed, when I posted the Festive corn raita, the piquant pineapple raita with pomegranate and the figure friendly creamy onion raita. Yogurt makes the raita creamy without adding too many calories or fat. That is what I tell myself as I have multiple servings of it:)
On Friday when I posted the warm and toasty Parathas, I promised that I would post the apple raita I served with the parathas. If you love blue cheese, you will find this raita addictive! The yogurt and blue cheese counterbalance the sweet apples and the crisp romaine, the smoky cumin seed powder and chaat masala take it one notch higher! And all this goodness in under 10 minutes!
Ingredients for Apple Raita
- 1/2 cup plain, non fat Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoon blue cheese crumbles (or to taste)
- 1/8 teaspoon medium hot red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seed powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chat masala
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar ( if the yogurt is tangy)
- salt to taste
- 1 medium red delicious apple washed, cored and diced
- 1 cup finely diced celery
To make the Raita-
- In a bowl, combine the yogurt, blue cheese crumbles, chili and cumin seed powders, chat masala, sugar and salt.
- Mix well, fold in the diced apple and celery and serve!
Enjoy it with the warm and toasty parathas or as a side salad with any meal!