Nutritious and Scrumptious Spinach Rice- A one pot meal!

makes 6 cups of rice

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
Healthy Spinach Rice!

One pot meals are a blessing to so many of us, especially on busy days. Basmati rice combined with masoor dal is a complete protein that is easily digestible. Add spinach, onion, ginger and garlic to the mix and you have a delectable meal that is also so healthy. These are my ‘go to’ dishes when I remember my new year’s resolution.Served with a scrumptious raita like a cucumber raita, the piquant pineapple raita ,or the cool onion raita, it makes for a meal that I look forward to instead of a ‘diet meal’

So here are the Ingredients-

• 1 teaspoon oil plus 1 teaspoon ghee
  • 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
  • 1 medium onion, sliced thin
  • a pinch of salt + 1 teaspoon brown sugar
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1/2 inch peeled fresh ginger, grated
  • 1 green chili pepper, (optional)
  • 1 cup Basmati rice, washed well and drained
  • 1 cup masoor dal, (red lentils), washed well and drained
  • 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
  • 4 cups water or low sodium, low fat vegetable or chicken broth, heated to bring up to a boil
  • salt to taste
  • 2 big fist fulls of spinach leaves, washed and chopped

To make the rice-

1. In a saucepan, heat the oil and ghee over medium heat. Add the cumin seeds. When they start to sizzle and you smell their aroma, add the onions, pinch of salt and the brown sugar. Let the onions caramelize, stirring them in between, about 3 minutes.
  2. Add the minced garlic, the grated ginger and the chili, if using. Stir for a minute or so.
  3. Reduce heat to low,add the drained Basmati rice and masoor dal. Stir for 30 seconds, add the turmeric powder and stir again until rice looks opaque, about 2 to 3 minutes.
  4. Add the broth or water, salt to taste, stir and let it cook on low for about 5 minutes.
  5. Fold in the chopped spinach, and cover and cook on low until the rice and dal are cooked, about 10 minutes.
  6. Serve with a raita of your choice!

Enjoy!

Thank you Mira!

1. Zoale.com says:

This looks yummy!

Thank you for the follow and your kind words!

2. One of my favourite meals!

Thank you Aruna!

3. This looks amazing!! And yes, one pot meals are such lifesavers 😀

Thank you so much!

Thank you so much.

4. Hi there! I think your blog is amazing; therefore, I would like to nominate you for the One Lovely Blog Award.

Please click on this link to accept: http://hautemommyhandbook.com/2015/01/28/one-lovely-blog-award/

Congrats! Jen

Hi Jen,
      Thank you so much for nominating my blog! I am so honored that an amazing blogger like you likes my blog.

5. Rachel says:

This was great! Wanted to make the Dal recipe from your first post, but couldn’t get to the Indian grocery store before it closed to get the spice mix. I was able to buy everything for this at Whole Foods, and it was delicious!

Thanks Rachel! I am so glad that you liked it. Great to know that all the ingredients for the spinach rice are available at Whole Foods.

6. Just pinned it to my ‘Amazing Meatless Entrees’–Yum!

Thank you so much Sana! I am thrilled to hear that you have pinned it to your Amazing meatless entrees. I love your blog!

7. Lina says:

Hi Sandhya! I was just going through your posts to see what I could make…This sounds delicious and I am a Palak lover! So I think I’ll go with this..is it fine for you?

Absoltely! Thanks so much Lina.