Makes 2 (1 cup) servings
Got leftover rice? Then this is the recipe for you! In fact we liked this rice so much that I am making extra rice to have leftover rice:) I also made this recipe with brown rice and it was delicious!
The recipe is so simple yet this rice dish scores big on the taste scale. The mashed avocado clings to the garlic and caramelized onion flavored rice, making it buttery and creamy. I made it vegetarian this time but I want to add shrimp next time to it….I can almost taste it…..but let me give you the recipe first.
- 1 teaspoon oil plus 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 1 green chili pepper, slit lengthwise
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 cups of cooked rice, cooled
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- salt to taste
- juice of ½ lime
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled , pitted and coarsely mashed
To make the Avocado and Caramelized Onion Rice-
- Heat the oil and butter on medium heat. Add the sliced garlic and let it soften and cook for a few seconds, taking care not to burn it. Add the sliced onion and stir fry it for 2 minutes. Add the chili pepper.
Continue to stir until the is onion is golden brown.
- Reduce heat to low. Add the turmeric powder, give it a quick stir and add the rice, sugar and salt. Stir well to combine. Add the lime juice. Stir again and remove from heat.
- Stir in the mashed avocado, combine well with the rice and serve!
My mouth is watering thinking about it and I have just had dinner:) I have to make it again, with shrimp this time!
Hope you like this rice as much as we did!