Makes 6 Masala Papad Salad Cone servings
I like my salads to be tantalizing ! Meaning that the salad has to be appealing enough for my eyes and my taste buds, that I reach for it 🙂 So I tried to make the Masala Papad salad. This healthy salad sure packs a lot of punch in a crunchy papad cone.
Have you eaten warm, freshly roasted nuts tossed in a paper cone as you are strolling leisurely? The cones are redolent of those carefree times. I filled them with Avocado chutney and a combination of veggies and fruit spiced with the twangy Indian chat masala and a lemony and spicy Mexican fruit seasoning.
Papads or Papadums are an all time favorite snack in Indian restaurants and homes. They are generally made with lentils and dried in the sun.They come in many flavors. I used the slightly thicker, about 6 inch diameter papads for this recipe. The thicker papads will stay crunchy for a longer time after putting in the filling .I roasted the papads in the microwave for a minute to make the cones.
That simple ! But so yummy, that I ate a lot of salad. These Masala Papad Salad cones can be served as appetizers. The cones can also be shaped as flowers by draping the papad over the glass, as shown in the pictures. Serve the papad cones or flowers with the Avocado Chutney and the spiced salad and the guests can and will help themselves!
To make the papad flowers-
- 6 papads made into cones or flowers
- ½ cup Avocado chutney
For the salad mix together-
- ½ cup finely chopped cabbage
- 1 small plum tomato, finely chopped
- 1 small red onion, diced fine
- ½ red delicious apple, diced fine
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro leaves
- ½ teaspoon chat masala
- 5 to 6 shakes of the Mexican fruit seasoning. I used Tajin brand
To assemble the Masala Papad Salad Cones-
- Spread about 1½ tablespoons of avocado chutney in each of the papad cone or flower.
- Spoon the salad mixture in each cone and serve immediately.
Crunch, crunch, enjoy!