Do you love to go apple picking or love to pick them at the store? No matter where you get your apples, this quick and easy recipe is perfect for the fall season!
I love the smell of fresh apples in the orchards, and easily get carried away. Once home with all the apples, I start thinking of various recipes to use them in. That is when I thought of making apple halwa that could go with the meal or could be served as dessert.
Growing up in India the traditional meals had the sweet was served as part of the meal. There were specific sweets that were made for each festival. But on other days there was something sweet that went well with the chapatti or puri like a quick halwa made with ripe bananas. That banana halwa laced with cardamom was my favorite.
So I decided to make apple halwa with almonds, cardamom and saffron. I thought of adding the chia seed powder for its health benefits and it also helps absorb the extra moisture in the mixture.
For this easy microwave recipe, I combined all ingredients. I used 3 tablespoons sugar, but you can use honey or agave too. The amount of sweetener will depend on the type of sweetener used and the sweetness of the apples. I used red delicious apples because I had those on hand.
Microwaved for 5 minutes. Stirred and microwaved again for 5 minutes! That is it!
This is a halwa that I can enjoy warm with my chapati or eat it warm or cool as a dessert.
Microwave Apple Halwa with Almonds and Chia
- 2 apples, peeled, cored and grated
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ghee (optional)
- 4 green cardamom pods, peeled and seeds ground
- 8 almonds, ground into powder
- 1 pinch saffron
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon white chia seed powder
To make the Apple Halwa-
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine all the ingredients and microwave on high for 5 minutes.
- Stir well and microwave for another 5 minutes.
- Serve it warm or cool.
- Peel, core and grate the apples when you are ready to make the halwa so they don’t turn too brown.
- For the apple roses, I brushed thin slices of apple with a mixture of 1 tablespoon apricot jelly and ½ teaspoon lime juice microwaved for 20 seconds.
Enjoy the fall season with this yummy Apple Halwa!