A simply scrumptious, nutritious, lowfat, vegetarian, figure friendly salad.
Do you get hangry (angry when hungry?) I know I do. Lately I have been trying to shake off the extra pounds…..and it has not been easy. I get so irritable when I am hungry.
So I look for foods that I absolutely love to eat and are healthy, so I can have my large size portions, feel full, so it is easy to be pleasant to people around me 🙂
This Red Cabbage Koshimbir fits the bill and is my ‘go to’ salad. Red cabbage is robust and hearty in flavor and has the additional phytonutrients and anti-inflammatory properties compared to green cabbage.
Here is the easy recipe for this wholesome salad !
Red Cabbage Koshimbir
- ½ teaspoon ghee (or coconut oil for vegan option) + ½ teaspoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 green hot chili pepper, such as Serrano, cut into pieces
- 1/8 teaspoon asafetida powder (hing)
- 3 cups of sliced red cabbage
- ¼ cup crushed, dry roasted peanuts
- ¾ teaspoon sugar
- Salt to taste
- juice of ½ lemon
- 1/8 cup grated fresh coconut
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro (optional)
To make the Red Cabbage Koshimbir-
- In a frying pan, heat the ghee (or coconut oil) and the olive oil over medium heat. Add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, chili pepper. When the mustard seeds start to sputter and the green chili is blistered, add the asafetida. When the asafetida powder swells and is fragrant, about 5 seconds, shut the heat off.
- Add the sliced red cabbage to the pan stir, add the crushed peanuts, sugar, salt, lemon juice, coconut and cilantro.
- Toss well to combine. Serve warm, at room temperature or chilled.
- Soaked mung dal can be added and cooked after step 1 too.
I hope you like this Red Cabbage Koshimbir as much as I do! Do you have any recipes in your arsenal that have helped you lose weight? I would love to know …please do share.
Looking forward to hearing from you,