Healthy Indian Buddha Bowl

Nourishing, well balanced Buddha bowl with Indian spiced chick peas.

Easy recipe for Indian spiced Buddha Bowl with chana masala, quinoa, veggies, raita and mango
Healthy Indian Buddha Bowl

Have you hopped on the Buddha bowl craze yet?  Are you wondering why they are so popular these days? The answer in 3 words is -easy, nutritious and scrumptious! Who does not want that?Buddha bowls, as I understand them, are a combination of grains, protein, greens/veggies, fruit,some extras…read extra yummy…. and something edgy or spicy. This Healthy Indian Chana Masala Buddha bowl is all that and more! It makes healthy eating easy for a person me, who needs a filling and delicious meal with something spicy, something extra thrown in 🙂

When I first heard of Buddha bowl, the alms bowl is what came to my mind. Giving alms is such an important part of Buddhism, Hinduism and Islam, as it is in other religions.

My childhood memory is that of a fakir who came to our home every Friday. He would stand behind the closed bungalow gate and sing praises of God. He carried an alms bowl made of stone. My family filled his alms bowl with grains of rice. My mother stored rice grains in huge containers and as kids, when we heard the fakir sing, we scooped up rice from the container in a bowl, ran to the gate to give the rice to the fakir in his alms bowl. Now I wonder what else he got in that bowl from other homes, to make his meal that night. Being able to put together a nutritious meal with the various components received is quite a skill, isn’t it?

Well, back to my Buddha bowl, I especially liked the fact that once I made the chana masala with kale …yes I could easily sneak in the kale:)… and had fresh veggies and fruit, each member of the family could mix and match the flavors they wanted in their Buddha bowl! I was happy I had something spicy in my Buddha bowl and my treat was the mango and the yogurt raita with grapes and walnuts. This is the type of healthy eating that even I can stick to!

Chana Masala with Kale

• 1 tablespoon olive or canola oil
  • 2 medium onions, diced fine
  • 1 teaspoon ginger paste
  • ½ teaspoon garlic paste
  • 2 tablespoons store bought chana masala powder(with aamchur)
  • ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
  • 2 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 1 cup water or vegetable stock
  • 1 teaspoon brown sugar
  • Salt to taste
  • 1 (29 oz) can chick peas, rinsed and drained
  • 1/ 2 cup frozen chopped kale

To make the Chana Masala with Kale-

1. In a sauce pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the diced onion and sauté until it is translucent, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the ginger and garlic paste and sauté for another minute or so.
  2. Turn down the heat, add the chana masala powder and turmeric powder and sauté on low for another minute.
  3. Add the tomato paste, sauté until fragrant. Add 1 cup of water or vegetable stock, the brown sugar and salt, stir well, cover and let the mixture cook on low for 5~7 minutes.
  4. Add the drained chickpeas and the kale and let it cook for another 5 minutes or so to assimilate the flavors.

For the Healthy Indian Buddha Bowl, I had cooked quinoa, chana masala with kale served with a wedge of lime, sliced cucumbers, yellow cauliflower florets, scallions, grape tomatoes and sliced mangoes. A yogurt based raita goes well with this meal, in my opinion. I used fat free Greek yogurt,  cooked beets,grapes and walnuts in my raita and seasoned it with cumin seed powder and salt.

I hope everyone enjoys the healthy Indian Buddha Bowl  at Fiesta Friday!

Enjoy!

1. ggstratton says:

Great idea for the chickpeas. It is my intention to start using them more creatively and this is a wonderful idea. 🙂

Liked by 2 people

Thanks so much! Yes these are super easy to make too.

2. It looks amazing Sandhya! The presentation is beautiful! Yummy…

Liked by 3 people

Thanks so much Swapna! I like having several components in a meal 🙂

3. Looks so good especially the mango…but that is my fave 🙂

Liked by 2 people

Terri, mangoes are my soul food too…so it was so good to have that treat as one of the components in that Buddha Bowl 🙂

4. Sandhya I can eat this the whole day… Lovely recipe 🙂

Liked by 2 people

Thanks so much Mona! I like the idea of Buddha bowl as I feel like i get so many components I like in one meal with a treat included too:)

5. Feast for our eyes and tummy too.Loved this Sandhya.

Liked by 3 people

Thanks so much Anuradha! I appreciate your kind words.

Thanks so much Sonal!

6. Looks amazing.. Beautiful presentation

Liked by 2 people

Thanks so much Ruchi!

7. Sumith Babu says:

Amazing presentation!! A real creative one and delicious!!

Thanks so much Sumith!

Ahhhh Sandhya, they there are…. those chick peas you told me about.
    Your entire presentation is a work of art here, the vibrant colors, the plating, that gorgeous blue plate, the savory and sweet notes, a great East meets West fusion. Yes, these bowls are definitely “in” these days, I’ve been indulging in some of them too, but you’ve given me a good idea of how to use my leftovers cauliflower and chick pea curry from a few days ago. I’d have thought a yogurt raita would be great with this nutritious and healthy meal too. xo

Liked by 2 people

Thank you so much Loretta for your keen observation and abundant praise! It feels so good when all our efforts as bloggers are appreciated, isn’t it?
      Yes I liked the idea of Buddha bowl as it gives us a chance to have so many components and for a person like me, it seems like a good way to learn portion control 🙂 I like the idea of having some treats in there too. I agree with you that it is a great way to use leftovers.
      We had the telepathy with chickpeas and raita this week 🙂

9. Sandhya this is an awesome plate, but I have never heard of the plate of Buddha. Looks so yumm though.

Liked by 3 people

Thanks Meena! Buddha bowl is popular with people looking to eat healthy andfor a foodie like me…I am constantly trying to eat healthy 🙂

10. loveandcolorblog says:

Looks really good ! Awesome presentation 🙂

Liked by 2 people

Thanks so much!

11. petra08 says:

I have heard about Buddha bowls but never made one and reading your delicious recipe I am wondering why! It looks delicious 🙂

Liked by 3 people

Thanks so much Petra! I love having all the different interesting components in one bowl.

12. Sumith Babu says:

It seems you very busy. Awaiting for your amazing posts!!

Thanks Sumith ! What a great compliment coming from a talented chef like you!

13. Such a fun post with lovely memories! Love this one!

Thanks so much Lynn. It is interesting what will take us back in an instant right? The alms bowl reminded me of the black stone bowl the fakir carried:) Thanks so much for your kind words.

1. That is so special! I loved hearing that story! I can imagine it totally!

14. Hi Sandhya,
    We have gone through your blog/website and find many nice recipes on it. You are having amazing cooking skills and we appreciate your work and want to make it reach to the right people who love food and cooking. We don’t want to let such talent go unnoticed. So, let us help you in becoming more famous. We will be very much happy to have you on our website-Onfoodie.com.
    We would like you to upload your recipes on our website. All you have to do is, just sign up and add your recipes or if you want we can add your recipe into your profile after signup on your behalf (If you permit us) and will promote you and your recipes. You can back link your blog/website in your recipes. Also, you can add variations in already uploaded recipes and can add YouTube video link along with your recipes. Rewards, contests and offers will also be provided and added soon.
    If you face any problem in registering or in uploading the recipe, please contact us at support@onfoodie.com or you can write us back also. We will be very happy to help you. The current services are just a beginning and we will be adding other functionalities to make your experience amazing and wonderful.
    Your contribution will mean a lot to us.
    Thanks in advance.
    Onfoodie Team

15. buffbanana says:

I loved the story, and food looks amazing! Im more of a sunday roast kind of guy but honestly i think i could take up this recipe! Each item on there is so healthy! You’ve given me some inspiration for my blog to delve deeper into the health benefits of these ingredients!

Feel free to have a read at

It would be great to get any feedback from you, and i look forward to connecting with you again, your recipes look too delish!

Liked by 2 people

Thanks so much! I absolutely love putting together these Buddha bowls.
      You have a great blog with health benefits of foods ! now you have recipes with those foods here:)
      Thanks for the follow. I am following your blog too.

1. buffbanana says:

Many thanks! I will for sure be trying your tasty recipes! Health and happiness on its way

Liked by 2 people

16. Anju says:

Wow it looks super yummy and healthy. Thanks for sharing

Thanks so much Anju!

17. londoner18 says:

It looks amazing!! Compliments ❤

Thanks so much!

18. What a lovely story and a delicious sounding recipe! Meals like this are the best, so easy to customize to what you have on hand… like kale 🙂

Tanks so much! Yes I like meals like these too!

19. threebrits says:

Wow this looks delicious!!

20. Looks like heaven! I am going to have to try this!

Thanks Katt! I absolutely love this bowl.

21. What a bowl full of delicousness. This looks full of flavor and healthy too. Love how you can sneak in the kale none the wiser. Looks wonderful.

Thanks Ali!

Thanks so much Ali!

22. WillCookForFriends says:

I love hearty buddha bowls like this! All those warm spices sound so good in these cold winter months here in Michigan. And I’d never heard of an alms bowl before… I love that story from your childhood!

Thanks so much!

23. This looks and sounds fantastic.

24. Heyy Sandhya,
    Thank you for introducing me to Buddha Bowl . I am hearing for the first time and guess this is going to lead me learn more about it online.

Its definitely hale and hearty!! I would love to have one for sure 🙂

Thanks so much Sandhya! So happy to be in touch with you.