Easy recipe with just a few ingredients and step by step photos!
Super Bowl fever has taken over New England and everyone here is rooting for our stars-the Patriots! Of course Super Bowl food goes hand in hand with the excitement of watching the game!
Buffalo wings and pizza are all time favorites so I decided to make the Buffalo Chicken Star Calzone. For the dip, I made the delectable Apple Raita with blue cheese and celery. Other favorite munchies during the game are the Masala Peanut Bhujia in 4 1/2 minutes, the Broiled Stuffed Indo Mexican Jalapenos, Touch down Chili! and the Baked Vada Paav Poppers….to name a few…..did I tell you we are foodies ? 🙂
The Buffalo Chicken Star Calzone is super easy to put together and emerges from the oven all ooey gooey with the cheese, and oh so yummy with the spicy kick. I added only 3 tablespoons of the buffalo sauce for a medium hot taste. I personally love spicy foods and go for those ‘dare you’ kind of wings at restaurants. But this whole combination with the calzone and the dip tasted so moreish that I did not miss my ‘extra’ spicy.
Here are my easy step by step photos-
Buffalo Chicken Star Calzone
For the filling-
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 2 tablespoons plain cream cheese, at room temperature
- ¾ cup grated cheese- I used a combination of sharp cheddar and Mexican cheese
- 1 clove of garlic, grated
- 3 tablespoons hot sauce ( or to taste)
- 9 ounces pizza dough- store bought or homemade
- Flour to roll out the dough
- 1 egg beaten with 1 teaspoon water, for the egg wash
Ingredients and recipe for the dip- is at Apple Raita with Blue cheese and celery
To make the Buffalo Chicken Star Calzones-
- Simply mix together all the ingredients for the filling. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- On a floured surface, roll out the pizza dough to about 1/8 inch thickness. Transfer to a greased baking sheet. I rolled the dough and baked the calzone on the same baking mat.
- With a pizza cutter cut the dough in the middle as shown in the photos. Spoon the filling around the circumference of the circle, leaving about 1 inch around the outer edge. (see photo)
- Brush the center cuts with egg wash and fold as shown in photos. Brush the top with egg wash and bake in the preheated 350 degree oven for about 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown.
- While the calzone is baking, prepare the Apple Raita with Blue cheese and celery dip.
- Serve the Buffalo Chicken Star Calzone warm out of the oven with the dip!
Enjoy! Go Pats!!!