Ragi Nourish Bowl

Vegetarian, gluten free and a powerhouse of health benefits ready in under 10 minutes!

Ragi/ Nachani satva is sprouted ragi flour. Easy Indian recipe for vegetarian, gluten free, nutritious breakfast!
Ragi/ nachani satva is sprouted ragi flour. Easy Indian recipe for vegetarian, gluten free, nutritious breakfast!

Ragi or finger millet is a grain that has been grown in the southern region of India for over 4000 years. But this once popular grain has been forgotten in recent years.

It is called nachani in Marathi and growing up I had seen nutritious nachani satva packets in many stores in Maharashtra. During my last trip to India, I decided to pick up a couple of these packets. Nachani satva is sprouted ragi or nachani flour. It is also called malted finger millet flour and is available in some stores and online.

Super easy to make as a porridge or as a dessert, nachani satva is gluten free, a rich source of minerals, calcium, has anti-microbial and anti-oxidant properties and has essential amino acids that are rare in vegetarian diets. From the ayurvedic perspective, it helps get rid of high ‘ama’ or vitiated pitta and helps with the digestive fire. Cooking with milk or coconut milk and cardamom is beneficial in balancing the doshas.

You know how much I love coconut milk so just like the Overnight Oats in Coconut Milk, I used coconut milk in this delectable breakfast too. I like waking up to breakfasts I enjoy. Don’t you?

Plus it is perfect for the spring round the corner, isn’t it? To make it attractive to my family, I made it into a nourish bowl! The ragi porridge is topped with fresh and dry fruit, shredded coconut and walnuts! I added my favorites. And you can add yours!

Ragi Nourish Bowl

• 2 teaspoons of nachani/ragi satva (sprouted finger millet flour) blended with ½ cup water
  • 1/2 cup coconut milk/milk/almond milk
  • Jaggery/sugar/stevia according to taste
  • A small pinch of salt
  • ¼ teaspoon cardamom powder
  • Fresh and/or dry fruit and nuts of your choice ( I used papaya, shredded coconut, dates and walnuts)

To make the Ragi Nourish Bowl-

1. Add the blended nachani satva to the coconut milk, milk or almond milk and bring it to a low simmer. Stir and let it simmer for about 2 minutes or until cooked. Remove from heat.
  2. Add the jaggery, sugar or stevia, salt and cardamom powder and stir well.
  3. Serve warm or cold topped with fruit and nuts.

Enjoy!

I am taking my Ragi Nourish Bowl to Angie’s Fiesta Friday!

Have a great weekend all!

1. Looks delicious Sandhya, this is an ancient grain I have never heard of. I must give it a try!! Delicious and healthful and beautiful to look at.

Thanks Suzanne!

2. Sandhya this looks stunning! I’ve never heard of this grain but am sure it tastes wonderful 😊

Thanks Marisa. Yes it really tastes awesome.

3. Aruna says:

Now that summer is starting, Ragi is a part of my everyday diet. Loved your bowl of nourishing Raagi. 🙂

4. Lina says:

Wow! Healthy and yumm

Thanks so much Lina!

5. alkajena says:

The Ragi bowl looks beautiful.

6. arv! says:

Great dish. Ragi is not very popular in this part of the country. I have tried home made Ragi cookies, they were yum. But I had bought Ragi from Hyderabad.

7. I love millet porridge and have it often, but I only know the normal tiny little grains that I process into flour, not the sprouted finger kind. I’ll have to keep my eyes open to see if I can find it. Thank you Sandhya

8. PriyaPandian says:

Looks awesome Sandhya 👍 I mostly try to include ragi flour in my diet thrice a week in any form like porridge, dosas. I love it.

9. Vani Thilagar says:

Sandhya,
    Looks great! Is it the same flour as this one?: http://www.exportersindia.com/indira-foods/ragi-huri-hittu-bangalore-india-492046.htm

Vani, the flour I have is finely ground. Also it will say malted ragi, not popped.I saw this online https://www.vitacost.com/pure-living-organic-sprouted-grain-millet-flour
      Hope this helps.

1. Vani Thilagar says:

Thanks Sandhya

I’ve not heard of ragi Sandhya, but this porridge bowl sure looks appealing to me. It’s got all the fruit and nut flavors that I enjoy, and oh my that papaya? So refreshing! It would make a lovely change from my boring old oatmeal 🙂

Thanks so much Loretta. I knew that ragi was nutritious but when I read up on it, I found so many more health benefits.

11. Love all the colours Sandhya !

Thanks so much Emily!

Such a beautiful and healthy dish. Your picture is so pretty Sandhya!

Thanks so much Antonia! Always appreciate your kind words!

13. Looks delicious Sandhya

Thanks Ruchi. It is so healthy too, right? I knew that growing up but reading about it I realized it has more benefits than I knew. Age old wisdom amazes me every time!

1. So true dear… Though we become so modern or instant but some old techniques are always the best…