Vegan, gluten free, figure friendly, fall dessert that bakes in 5 minutes!
Do you crave some ooeey gooey, warm dessert now that the weather is brrrr….cold?
We do too. And this quick, easy and light dessert hits the spot! This is our ‘go to’ dessert and being guilt free, we are ‘going to’ it pretty often 😉 In fact I am thinking of adding granola to the topping and having it for breakfast….one more excuse to eat these Microwave Baked Apples in Caramel Sauce again.
You all know I am nuts about coconut. The Munganey is my absolute favorite dessert and that was my inspiration in creating this coconut caramel sauce. I wanted to combine the coconut caramel sauce with fresh juicy apples of the season to make a quick and easy dessert.
Speaking of quick, simply halve and core the apples, stuff and drizzle the coconut sauce. The sauce caramelizes as it bakes. How easy is that?
Microwave Baked Apples with Coconut Caramel Sauce
- ¼ cup coconut cream. I used Trader Joe’s coconut cream
- 1/8 cup jaggery
- ½ teaspoon green cardamom powder
- 1 apple. I used a Macoun apple
- 2 dates, chopped fine
- 2 almonds, chopped fine
- 2 pistachios, chopped fine
- Dried berry mix (optional)
To make the Microwave Baked Apples with Coconut Caramel Sauce-
- Combine the coconut cream and jaggery and heat it until it simmers gently and the jaggery is melted, about 1 minute. Add the cardamom powder and set aside.
- Mix together the chopped dates, almonds and pistachios. In a microwave proof dish, place the cored apples and stuff them with the date and nut mixture.
- Pour the coconut cream sauce over the apples and microwave for 5 minutes or until the apples are cooked and the sauce is caramelized to a golden color.
- Remove from microwave and let cool for 2 minutes before serving. Top with the dried berries and frozen yogurt, if desired.
- Note- Microwave baking time is based on my 1100 W microwave and for 1 apple (2 servings). Timing may vary according to your microwave and the number of apples.