An epicurean’s delight! Gourmet entree that is nutrition packed with quinoa, coconut oil, coconut milk, turmeric, asparagus and coriander seed! An easy weeknight meal!
Looking for a gourmet, healthy family meal that is all natural, gluten free, vegan and simply delicious? This entrée is all that plus it is super easy to make! Add to that the fact that the sauce can be made ahead of time too. How convenient is that?
This unique recipe has many layers of flavor which makes it an epicurean delight. I tossed the butternut squash and onions in virgin coconut oil and spices like turmeric and coriander seeds for flavor and for their anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant properties.
The asparagus tossed with virgin coconut oil and sea salt is another yummy and healthful addition to the dish and it juxtaposed well with the quinoa penne.
One bite of this scrumptious quinoa penne in the butternut squash sauce and your family will be hooked! I used Tresomega’s virgin coconut oil and quinoa penne pasta for this recipe. Check them out at http://www.tresomega.com/ and on FB and Twitter
In full disclosure, the virgin coconut oil and quinoa penne pasta that I used in this post were provided to me at no cost by Tresomega nutrition.
They are available at Tresomega.com. Sams.com, Amazon.com and Walmart.com
Quinoa Penne in Wholesome Butternut Squash Sauce
For the sauce-
- 1 ½ teaspoon Tresomega virgin coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried red chili powder or chili flakes
- Sea salt to taste
- 3 cups peeled butternut squash cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1 large red onion, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup coconut milk
- ½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
For the roasted asparagus-
- ½ pound tender asparagus stalks, trimmed ½ teaspoon Tresomega virgin coconut oil
- Sea salt to taste
For the quinoa penne-
- 1 (8 oz) box Tresomega Gluten Free Quinoa Penne Pasta, cooked according to instructions on back of box
To make the Quinoa Penne with Wholesome Butternut Squash Sauce-
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In a bowl combine the virgin coconut oil with coriander seed powder, turmeric powder, chili powder or chili flakes and the sea salt. Add the peeled and cubed butternut squash and red onion. Toss and spread in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 35 minutes.
- Toss the asparagus spears with virgin coconut oil and sea salt. On a separate baking sheet lined with parchment paper, spread the asparagus spears in a single layer and bake for 10 minutes. When cool, cut into pieces. (I added the baking sheet with asparagus to the oven during the last 10 minutes of baking the butternut squash)
- Remove both from oven and let cool. Blend the roasted butternut squash and onion with 1 cup of water until smooth. Add the coconut milk and the vinegar and add sea salt if necessary. This will make about 3 cups sauce. Set aside.
- Cook the quinoa penne according to directions on box. Drain.
- Add the sauce and the roasted asparagus and serve!
- Note: The butternut squash sauce can be made ahead of time and refrigerated for up to 2 days.