This recipe was inspired by a very recent trip to New York City. When I smelled the aroma of the roasted water chestnuts hanging in the air, it reminded me that I have always associated this smell with New York city in the winter time.
We were in New York City on Christmas day and the city was just magical with the Christmas lights at night! Weather was unseasonably warm at 44 degrees Fahrenheit so it was no surprise that Rockefeller Center and 5th Avenue were packed to the brim!
I especially loved seeing the creative displays in store windows and the lights.
Visiting the Oculus was an unbelievably moving experience for me as an American and an architect. I have no words to describe my feelings ! Allow me to share a few pics with you-
You did not think I would forget the food , did you? Luckily for me I have a hubby who loves to try a variety of foods just like I do and over the years we have some of our favorite places that we ‘have to’ go to 🙂 In my haste of gobbling up, I forgot to take pics at the famous deli, in the Chinatown bakery with pastries galore and the quaint 1910 cafe in Little Italy where I dug into a Tiramisu.
I did manage to get a pic of the freshly baked flat bagels…wish I could get them in the Boston area…tthe Bento box and the fries and of course the spinach and artichoke pizza in Little Italy…it was like having the best pizza crust with our favorite spinach artichoke dip.
Strolling through the city at night with the aroma of the roasted water chestnuts, I started to wonder if I could make Masala Water Chestnuts in my air fryer. So I did try them today and was very happy with the results.
Here is what I did-
Air Fryer Masala Water Chestnuts
- 12 water chestnuts washed and dried
- 1/2 teaspoon mild red chili powder or paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chaat masala
- 1/4 teaspoon amchur powder ( dry mango powder)
- Himalayan pink salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
To make the Air Fryer Masala Water Chestnuts-
- Cut X marks on the flat surface of the water chestnuts with a sharp knife. (see photo)
- In a bowl combine the chili powder, chaat masala, amchur powder, salt and coconut oil. Add the water chestnuts and toss to coat.
- Spread them in the air fryer. I used Tatung’s air fryer and set the timer for 25 minutes. (See photo)
- Remove from the airfryer and peel the toughs shell.The X mark makes to eat.
- The Masala Water Chestnuts make an easy party appetizer!
Enjoy! Have a fabulous weekend. Can you believe this is the last weekend in 2018? I am so grateful to each and every one of you for being my friend and look forward to our continued friendship in 2019! Waiting for the ball drop!