Elegant, delicately flavored soup that is hearty and filling.
Today is the first day of winter and I cannot wait for spring to arrive. I am not a winter person at all. So, I gravitate towards fireplaces, crochet and warm foods.
I strive to make them healthy and avoid using loads of heavy cream and butter.
So, my signature recipe trick is to use masoor dal/ red lentils. Masoor dal adds body and protein to the soup. I cook a big batch and have them stored in the freezer in 1 cup portion sizes. So, I used a batch for this soup as well. But if you are cooking in the Instant pot, you could add the washed, uncooked lentils right into the pot and cook it along with the leek and potatoes.
Potato Leek Soup with dal is a breeze to make in the Instant pot. Once the leek is chopped and rinsed thoroughly to get rid of any grit, I feel I am half way there! I wash, peel and chop the potatoes and I am ready to go. I use the Instant pot on Sauté mode first and then use the Soup setting with the pressure on.
I used chicken stock for this soup which tastes amazing but if you wish you can use vegetable stock as well.
My family loves this delicately flavored soup. The amount of masoor dal in the recipe is just enough that the flavor fades in the background but adds body to the soup. I added a touch of coconut milk for some smooth lingering flavor on the tongue.
This elegant soup could be dinner tonight or it can be served at your next party!
Instant Pot Potato Leek Soup with Dal
- 1 tender leek, 2 heaped cups chopped, (check details in recipe below)
- ½ tablespoon butter +1 tablespoon olive oil
- about ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped, 1 heaped cup
- 1 cup cooked masoor dal, measured with the cooking liquid or 1/2 cup washed uncooked masoor dal
- Salt to taste
- 2 cups vegetable or low sodium chicken stock
- 1 cup water
- ¾ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup coconut milk powder blended with 1/3 cup water
To make the Instant Pot Potato Leek Soup with Dal
- Remove the outer tough layers of the leek (if any) and chop the leek. Put it in water and rinse well using several changes of water to get rid of any grit. Drain and shake off/ blot excess water.
- Heat the Instant pot on Sauté mode. Add butter and olive oil. When it is hot, add the black pepper.
- Add the leek and sauté it for about 2 minutes. Add the chopped potatoes and the masoor dal and salt and stir. Add salt, the broth and the water. Switch off the Sauté mode on Instant Pot.
- Close the lid, set it to Soup and let the soup cook.
- Let pressure release naturally. Open the Instant Pot.
- With an immersion blender, blend until soup is smooth.
- Add the vinegar, stir and add the coconut milk and stir.
- Serve, topped with croutons, if desired.
Do try this elegant soup for dinner at home or for your party! Wishing you all Happy Holidays!