Crispy Broccoli with turmeric, cumin and besan is a savory, gluten free snack or side dish that is ready in 10 minutes!
That New Year’s resolution of losing weight is easier said than done, isn’t it? It has been hard to suddenly turn my back on the decadent treats, especially that leftover baklava in my refrigerator, that beckons me every time I open the refrigerator door.
Deep fried fritters/ bhajji is another food I cannot resist- where veggies are dunked into besan/ chickpea batter and deep fried. In India, it is very common to enjoy bhajjis with a cup of tea every time it rains! That being said, I should have a perfect excuse with the snow and cold weather, right?
But my bathroom scale has not been my friend for quite some time now, so I am trying very hard to get back into healthier eating habits. That has never meant giving up on taste. That is what most of Indfused recipes are all about.
So, this Air Fryer Crispy Broccoli, scented with spices and besan, made with 1 teaspoon of oil is the perfect answer! The smell and taste of besan is redolent of those bhajjis eaten during the rain but minus the extra calories. Plus, these Air Fryer Crispy Broccoli florets are ready in 10 minutes while I make the tea!
I also served this crispy broccoli with an Indian dinner of bhakri, rice, dal and subji.
Air Fryer Crispy Broccoli with Spices and Besan
- 2 teaspoons plain yogurt. I used 1 % yogurt
- 1 teaspoon oil. I used olive oil
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin seed powder
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder (or to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon amchur powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 ½ cups bite size broccoli florets and tender stems, loosely packed
- 1 tablespoon besan/ chick pea flour
To Make the Air Fryer Crispy Broccoli with Spices and Besan
- In a bowl, combine the yogurt, oil, turmeric powder, cumin seed powder, chili powder, amchur powder and salt.
- Mix well and add the broccoli florets and stems. Toss lightly to coat them with the yogurt mixture.
- Sprinkle the besan over the coated broccoli and lightly toss again.
- Add the coated broccoli florets and stems to the air fryer and set timer for 10 minutes.
- Crispy Broccoli is ready to be served. I served it with a hot and sweet sauce.
Note: I used a Tatung air fryer. Individual timings may vary according to the Air fryer used.
Enjoy this savory treat without the extra calories!
Wishing you all a fabulous weekend,