The new superfood snack with turmeric, crisp curry leaves and coconut oil and coconut chips! Crisp on the outside, soft and delicious on the inside!
Did you know that green chickpeas are the new healthy snack? They are tender young chickpeas picked at the peak of freshness and are nutrition packed. Green chickpeas are high in protein and fiber, and have a low glycemic index, making them the perfect superfood. And best of all, you will get hooked on their unique tender taste.
I remember in India, the fresh plants with the tender green chickpeas in pods, called harbhara in Marathi, were sold as street food and as we walked home from college we would snack on them.
Another memory I have is that of the Chaitra haldi kunku. With Gudi Paadwa tomorrow, the Hindu New Year begins with the auspicious month of Chaitra. Women get together to celebrate and are presented with the dark brown variety of chickpeas. My mom would attend several of these haldi kunku celebrations and we would have all this chana/ brown chickpeas at home. That is when she would make the roasted chana with coconut chips. What a yummy way to get protein right?
My air fryer recipe is simple yet moreish and I have to confess I used the frozen green chickpeas, so it was a breeze to make and tasted just as good as the fresh. The texture of the air fried chickpeas and even the crisp curry leaves was simply lip smacking.
Air Fryer Green Chickpeas
For the tempering-
- 1 ½ teaspoons coconut oil
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon asafetida powder (hing)
- 8 ~10 fresh curry leaves
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder (or to taste)
- 1 cup frozen green chickpeas, defrosted.
- 1/8 cup coconut chips
- ¼ teaspoon amchur powder (dried raw mango powder)
- Green chili pepper (optional)
- Himalayan pink salt to taste
- Minced onion and cilantro to serve
To make the Air Fryer Green Chickpeas-
- Heat the coconut oil over medium heat in a small pan. I used ‘fodnichi pali’ a ladle made in India for tempering.
- Turn the heat to low. Add the mustard seeds. When they start to splutter, add the asafetida, curry leaves, turmeric and chili powder (if using). Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the green chickpeas, coconut chips, amchur powder, green chili pepper (if using) and the salt. Add the tempering to it and toss it well.
- Add the mixture to the air fryer and set it for 10 minutes at 350 degrees. My air fryer has a standard heat setting so I just set the time.
- Crispy on the outside, soft and yummy on the inside, green chick peas are ready for snacking! Serve with the minced onion and cilantro if desired.
The air fryer timing will vary according to the make and the quantity of chickpeas. The timing in the recipe is according to my airfryer.
Enjoy this scrumptious, guilt free, protein rich super snack!