Easy, scrumptious, Indian style French toast, made in the Belgian waffle maker! An Indian- American- French- Italian-Belgian- Mexican fusion recipe !
This recipe is perfect for Mother’s Day! Kids can easily make this with the help of an adult. And it is so yummy that Mom would be super happy to have it for breakfast or brunch!
The Indian Style French Toast , also known as Bombay Masala Toast, is made with a savory mix of eggs, diced onion, tomato, cilantro, green chili peppers and pan fried. I generally find it very greasy as the egg mixture soaks up the butter or oil in the pan.
My experiment was to try making it in the waffle maker with no butter, and am thrilled with the results! We really enjoyed this non-greasy version of this toothsome sandwich. So, I am sharing the recipe with you. Also, I added Monterey Jack cheese and made it into a sandwich….so it is also a grilled cheese sandwich with olive bread dipped into a moreish coating of the piquant egg mixture and pressed into a Belgian waffle maker…..phew!
Does any dish get more global than this ? It is an Indian- American- French- Italian-Belgian- Mexican fusion to say the least 🙂
Do try this recipe for Mother’s Day breakfast or brunch or ….shhh…forward it to your significant other and kids to make it for you 🙂
Here is the easy recipe-
Waffled Savory French Toast Recipe
- 4 eggs
- 1 small plum tomato, diced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- I small chili pepper, diced (or to taste). I used Thai chili pepper
- A handful of cilantro/coriander leaves and tender stems chopped
- Salt to taste
- 4 slices of bread. I used thick cut, hearty olive bread.
- 4 slices of cheese. I used Monterey Jack cheese with peppers.
To make the Waffled Savory French Toast Recipe-
- In a bowl, beat the eggs, add the diced tomato, onion, chili pepper, chopped cilantro and salt. Mix well.
- Heat the Belgian waffle maker. While it is heating, dip the olive bread slices in the egg mixture and let them soak in the mixture.
- To the heated waffle maker, add 2 slices of the soaked olive bread. You can also spoon some of the diced tomato, onion chili if it slips when laying the slices in the waffle maker.
- Top the bread slices with 2 slices each of Monterey jack cheese. And put the other two soaked bread slices on top to create the sandwiches.
- Close the waffle maker and let the mixture cook.
- Remove from the waffle maker, cut into two sandwiches and serve.
- Enjoy the grilled cheese sandwich with the savory French toast mixture.
Note- I did not have to grease the waffle maker with any butter. The sandwiches just lifted off easy after cooking. If your waffle maker needs it, just use a light coat of butter to grease the waffle maker.
Enjoy these quick, easy and filling Savory French Toast sandwiches on Mother’s day or any day!
Happy Mother’s Day!