Protein rich Vegetarian Quinoa Kabab

Makes 10 slider size kababs

Protein rich Vegetarian Quinoa Kababs
Protein rich Vegetarian Quinoa Kababs

Do you want to incorporate more of the ‘super food’ quinoa in your diet? Then this recipe is for you!

These fun, easy to make kababs  can be served as appetizers, sliders, with a salad top of or in a  wrap!  The addition of the black beans, veggies and the gram flour (besan) boosts the protein and fiber we get from the quinoa. And did I mention that the kababs taste super yummy? So this is a win win situation!

If you want to make them gluten free, you can skip the cream of wheat. The kababs will still come out great. I like the crust the cream of wheat makes on the kababs, so I dredge them in it. I used a readymade green chutney spread to flavor the quinoa  kababs and also served them with the chutney. It made the task much easier and faster. If getting the chutney means a long trek for you, add grated fresh ginger, garlic, coriander leaves and some mint.

So how about trying these kababs this weekend? There is snow predicted all through the weekend in our neck of the woods, so I will be making more of these kababs for sure ! There is something about eating hot (and spicy) food as you watch the snow fall, don’t you agree ? 😉

Another wonderful thing to contemplate this weekend is from the super talented skd at Aromas and Flavors from my Kitchen who writes about German scientists building a teleporter system, named Scotty, that can beam foods to another location. Do read more about it and see the amazing Disney Pineapple pastry cake on her blog.I am so humbled and honored that she has put my Tandoori Salmon Pizza on her first wish list for Scotty!

Ingredients for the Quinoa Kababs
Ingredients for the Quinoa Kababs

• ¼ cup quinoa, cooked according to package directions. I used white quinoa from Whole Foods
  • 1 cup cooked black beans, slightly mashed
  • 1 tablespoon green chutney spread. I used Swad Bombay Chutney spread
  • 1 big carrot, peeled and grated
  • ½ cup thinly sliced red cabbage
  • 2  tablespoons  minced cilantro leaves
  • 2 teaspoons gram flour, (besan) roasted. I dry roast it in a skillet on low heat, for a few seconds.
  • ½ teaspoon chat masala
  • sea salt to taste
  • 2 teaspoons sooji / cream of wheat
  • oil to shallow fry-I used about 2 tablespoons total

To make the Quinoa Kababs-

1. In a bowl, simply combine all the ingredients except the sooji/ cream of wheat and the oil.
  2. Divide mixture roughly into 10 parts and form the kababs.
  3. Dredge in the sooji, lightly pressing it into the kababs .
  4. Heat one teaspoon of the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Shallow fry on 4 kababs at a time. Repeat with the rest of the kababs using the remaining oil as needed.
  5. Serve with the green chutney and ketchup as appetizers or on top of a salad like the Mouth watering Exotic Salad  or in the Avacado Chutney wrap for a complete meal!

Enjoy! Have a great weekend everyone!

1. Zoale.com says:

These looks sooo good! I love the idea of using the cream of wheat! Can’t wait to try these out 🙂

Thank you so much. The cream of wheat gave it that nice crispy coating. Do let me know how you like them.

Such colorful kebabs Sandhya and oh so healthy! Shame on me, I haven’t cooked with quinoa quite as much as I’d like to, perhaps I should remedy that with this great dish. :). Stay warm this weekend, I hear you guys are getting freshly dumped again?

3. nancyc says:

These look so good and it’s nice that they can be served in so many ways!

Thank you Nancy! My husband, who usually shies away from anything quinoa, gobbled these up! So I will be making them again. They will bake well too.

4. You managed to mix so many good foods into the patties. Looks great! 🙂

Thank you Ronit! My kids would always say that I try to stuff in as much nutrition as I can… of course they were not happy with my version of rice crispy bars:)

1. lol
        I’m sure one day they will thank you… 🙂

5. skd says:

Wow! You keep churning out one gorgeous dish after another. As if the Salmon pizza wasnt enough to give me a sleepless night you whip up another amazing looking dish in your kitchen. I would never have thought in my wildest dreams that quinoa can be turned into something so exotic. The purple cabbage adds to the glamour quotient. And a huge thank you for tagging me Sandhya 💕

Thank you so much. You are so kind. As for the quinoa kababs, my husband who generally avoids quinoa, ate these kababs so I was happy:)

1. skd says:

When something looks so exotic it is difficult to resist ☺

6. natasha says:

So healthy so yumm

Thank you so much, Natasha! Love your chocolate desserts. So happy you got to meet your mentor too! What a treat that must have been.

7. Definitely trying this! Thanks Sandhya!

Thank you Beverly! let me know how you like it. Thank you so much for visiting

8. Strangely, about an hour ago, I told my mum that I found a recipe for quinoa veg kebabs! And, then I see your comment on my blog. Thank you for stopping by. You have a fan in me as well, Sandhya. Keep blogging!

Thanks Beverly!

9. Astria John says:

I am going to try this 😉

Thanks so much! This recipe has won in contests! Hope you like it too.

1. Astria John says: