Makes 10 slider size kababs
Do you want to incorporate more of the ‘super food’ quinoa in your diet? Then this recipe is for you!
These fun, easy to make kababs can be served as appetizers, sliders, with a salad top of or in a wrap! The addition of the black beans, veggies and the gram flour (besan) boosts the protein and fiber we get from the quinoa. And did I mention that the kababs taste super yummy? So this is a win win situation!
If you want to make them gluten free, you can skip the cream of wheat. The kababs will still come out great. I like the crust the cream of wheat makes on the kababs, so I dredge them in it. I used a readymade green chutney spread to flavor the quinoa kababs and also served them with the chutney. It made the task much easier and faster. If getting the chutney means a long trek for you, add grated fresh ginger, garlic, coriander leaves and some mint.
So how about trying these kababs this weekend? There is snow predicted all through the weekend in our neck of the woods, so I will be making more of these kababs for sure ! There is something about eating hot (and spicy) food as you watch the snow fall, don’t you agree ? 😉
Another wonderful thing to contemplate this weekend is from the super talented skd at Aromas and Flavors from my Kitchen who writes about German scientists building a teleporter system, named Scotty, that can beam foods to another location. Do read more about it and see the amazing Disney Pineapple pastry cake on her blog.I am so humbled and honored that she has put my Tandoori Salmon Pizza on her first wish list for Scotty!
- ¼ cup quinoa, cooked according to package directions. I used white quinoa from Whole Foods
- 1 cup cooked black beans, slightly mashed
- 1 tablespoon green chutney spread. I used Swad Bombay Chutney spread
- 1 big carrot, peeled and grated
- ½ cup thinly sliced red cabbage
- 2 tablespoons minced cilantro leaves
- 2 teaspoons gram flour, (besan) roasted. I dry roast it in a skillet on low heat, for a few seconds.
- ½ teaspoon chat masala
- sea salt to taste
- 2 teaspoons sooji / cream of wheat
- oil to shallow fry-I used about 2 tablespoons total
To make the Quinoa Kababs-
- In a bowl, simply combine all the ingredients except the sooji/ cream of wheat and the oil.
- Divide mixture roughly into 10 parts and form the kababs.
- Dredge in the sooji, lightly pressing it into the kababs .
- Heat one teaspoon of the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Shallow fry on 4 kababs at a time. Repeat with the rest of the kababs using the remaining oil as needed.
- Serve with the green chutney and ketchup as appetizers or on top of a salad like the Mouth watering Exotic Salad or in the Avacado Chutney wrap for a complete meal!
Enjoy! Have a great weekend everyone!