Cheers to goodness in a glass! The past few hot summery days make me think of cooling foods like cucumbers and lassi. In India, lassis are classified into ‘khari lassi’ which is the yogurt drink with salt and spice and the ‘meethi lassi’ which is the sweet lassi with just sugar or with fruit and sugar.
This cucumber avocado lassi is a khari lassi. As you know, I love avocados in every shape and form so decided to try them in a lassi too. The avocados give the lassi such a creamy texture! The cucumber gives it an airy lightness and a subtle cool taste. Thanks to a dear friend, I now make kefir at home. So combined the skim milk kefir with the avocado, cucumber and the ‘good for you spices’ like cumin and coriander seeds and chaat masala and you have goodness in a glass!
- 1 cup kefir. I used skim milk to make my kefir
- ½ cup peeled and cut cucumber pieces. I used an English cucumber
- ½ avocado, peeled and seeded. I used a Hass avocado
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon roasted cumin seed powder
- ½ teaspoon roasted coriander seed powder
- ½ teaspoon chat masala
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ cup water
To make the Creamy Avocado Kefir Lassi-
- Simply blend all the ingredients together in a blender.
- Serve over ice.