Makes about 4 cups of bagel chips
To say that we are crazy about bagels and bialys would be an understatement! I know what you are thinking…. so many people are going low carb….but even mentioning that made some people… who shall remain anonymous….. very tetchy 🙂
New York City has quite a few places well known for their bagels- places that have become landmarks. During our recent visit to the big apple, after standing in a line that wrapped around the block for one such bagel shop, when we finally got to the counter, we overzealously ordered bagels. You know how that goes. We think,”Oh I don’t want to stand in that line again” Well that was our excuse anyway:)
When we got home with so many extra bagels, I made batches of bagel chips. I was thinking of bakery products my husband and I enjoyed as kids in India. The butter biscuits we both loved came flavored with cumin and carom seeds. That was my inspiration to try these zesty bagel chips!
They have become our new addiction!
- 2 bagels, sliced thin (about 4 cups of sliced bagels)
- 1 tablespoon oil. I used extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon mild red chili powder or paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon carom seeds, slightly crushed
- ¼ teaspoon cumin seeds, slightly crushed
- Sea salt or kosher salt to taste
To make the zesty bagel chips-
- In a gallon sized zip lock plastic bag, simply combine all the ingredients and shake until the bagel chips are coated with the spices and salt.
- Bake in a preheated 250 degree Fahrenheit oven for about 10 to 12 minutes or until the chips are crisp. The timing depends on how thin the bagel slices are cut and the individual ovens. I shut off the oven and left the chips in there for a few extra minutes.
The Zesty bagel chips go very well with an afternoon cup of chai!