Tantalizing Tostada Bar

Tantalizing Tostada bar!
Tantalizing Tostada bar!
Tantalizing Tostada assembled!
Tantalizing Tostada assembled!
Close up !
Close up !

Are you fascinated by edible containers? I am not sure why, but I am enchanted by them! So you can imagine my excitement when I recently saw the Magic Pop Korean style rice cakes. They are made of wheat, brown rice and corn. These crispy cakes are almost as big as the tea cup saucers! Plus the package said fat free, low calorie. I immediately started thinking what I would top or rather fill them with….something healthy and yummy …so why not have a tostada bar- Indian style!

I had some sprouted mung beans that I had frozen and a ripe mango and avocados, all of which I could not wait to eat. By the way, mung beans are considered the easiest to digest among all the beans. I roasted the mung beans on a teaspoon of oil tempered with spices, turmeric powder and fresh curry leaves. I have used curry leaves all along but when I recently read more about their health benefits, I started cutting them in a chiffonade so they get eaten along with the food. I added some grated fresh ginger as I like how that contrasts with fruits like mangoes. The roasted mung beans are crispy on the inside and soft and chewy inside. Enough said! Here are the ingredients-

• 1 teaspoon oil
  • ½ teaspoon black mustard seeds
  • 1/8 teaspoon asafetida (hing)
  • 4 to 5  fresh curry leaves, cut in a chiffonade
  • ½ teaspoon fresh ginger, peeled and grated
  • 1 cup sprouted mung beans
  • Sea salt to taste
  • 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
  • ¼ teaspoon red chili powder (or to taste)
  • Juice of ½ lime
  • 4 Magic Pop rice cakes
  • 1 avocado, peeled, pitted, mashed with a pinch of sea salt
  • 1 medium sized mango
  • ¼ cup diced red onion
  • ¼ cup chopped cilantro leaves
  • Store bought fine sev (chick pea noodles)

To make the salad-

1. Heat the oil, on medium heat. Add the mustard seeds, asafetida and the curry leaves. When the mustard seeds start to splutter, add the grated ginger and stir for a few seconds.
  2. Lower the heat, add the sprouted mung beans, the sea salt, turmeric and chili powders and slow roast the mung beans for about 4 to 5 minutes or until crispy. Add the lime juice, stir for another 30 seconds and remove from heat.
  3. On the Magic Pop cracker, spread the mashed avocado, top with mung beans, mango, onion, cilantro and the sev!

Enjoy! What drink would you serve with these? I like a Pina colada with mine. Have a great weekend everyone!

1. Food For The Soul says:

Love your creation here…mung sprouts will add a great texture. Will try it.

Yes mung sprouts tasted great with this and made me feel good that I was eating healthy:)

2. Oooooooooo…….. So like sev puri. All kinds of goodies piled on to a crunchy base. Lovely!

Aruna,
      I want to pile on bhel the next time…but mung beans give me the satisfaction that I am eating healthy;)

3. How creative is that! Fabulous use of magic pop ups!

Thanks Sonal!

4. I love those magic pops! They come in different flavors too.

I found the plain ones. I should look for ohter flavors now!

This looks delicious and will try this recipe. I will round up the ingredients. I hope you have had a nice rest of the week. 🙂

Thanks Robin! I hope you have a great week too!

Another winner here, not sure I’ve heard of magic pop ups though. What are they made of? Loving those ingredients, I can see myself close to that table for sure 🙂

Loretta,
      The Magic Pops I got were made from brown rice and wheat flour. The history on the packages was interesting saying that they are a popular snack in Korea, so this Korean American couple started the company here as they were missing it so much! So glad they did:)

7. choclette says:

I love these, what a fabulous idea. Just think, no washing up. Your filling sounds so good too.

8. These are lovely Sandhya – I just wanna bite into one now.

Thanks Molly! They are super crunchy and fun to bite into:)

9. What a fun idea for parties! The Korean tostada shells look really interesting!

Thanks Whitney! I also like the fact that it is very easy for the host/hostess as guests can assemble it according to their taste:)

Thanks Whitney! It is easy for the hostess as guest assemble their own tostadas too:)

10. Brian Jones says:

I am loving the cross over of flavours and influences and will definitely have a go at doing something similar although I have no idea what ‘magic pop rice cakes’ are 😀 I love bringing influences from all over the place into what I eat so this strikes a real chord with me!

Thanks Brian! I love cross over of flavors too.I see versions of the Magic pop rice cakes at whole foods and Asian supermarkets now.

11. Krithika says:

Love the concept Sandhya…next time we have a small party or family time together…this will definitely be on the menu!!!

Thank you Krithika! It is easy as guests can assemble it themselves according to their tastes and healthier than the fried appetizers:)

Thank you so much Krithika! let me know how you like it. It is easy on the host too as everyone can assemble what they want:)

12. Oh wow, this looks delicious; I love the flavors you have in this dish! I’ll take a pina colada with mine also, please. I’ll head over soon for some!

Thank you so much Marissa! I am a big Pina colada fan as well!