Are you fascinated by edible containers? I am not sure why, but I am enchanted by them! So you can imagine my excitement when I recently saw the Magic Pop Korean style rice cakes. They are made of wheat, brown rice and corn. These crispy cakes are almost as big as the tea cup saucers! Plus the package said fat free, low calorie. I immediately started thinking what I would top or rather fill them with….something healthy and yummy …so why not have a tostada bar- Indian style!
I had some sprouted mung beans that I had frozen and a ripe mango and avocados, all of which I could not wait to eat. By the way, mung beans are considered the easiest to digest among all the beans. I roasted the mung beans on a teaspoon of oil tempered with spices, turmeric powder and fresh curry leaves. I have used curry leaves all along but when I recently read more about their health benefits, I started cutting them in a chiffonade so they get eaten along with the food. I added some grated fresh ginger as I like how that contrasts with fruits like mangoes. The roasted mung beans are crispy on the inside and soft and chewy inside. Enough said! Here are the ingredients-
- 1 teaspoon oil
- ½ teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon asafetida (hing)
- 4 to 5 fresh curry leaves, cut in a chiffonade
- ½ teaspoon fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 cup sprouted mung beans
- Sea salt to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder (or to taste)
- Juice of ½ lime
- 4 Magic Pop rice cakes
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted, mashed with a pinch of sea salt
- 1 medium sized mango
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro leaves
- Store bought fine sev (chick pea noodles)
To make the salad-
- Heat the oil, on medium heat. Add the mustard seeds, asafetida and the curry leaves. When the mustard seeds start to splutter, add the grated ginger and stir for a few seconds.
- Lower the heat, add the sprouted mung beans, the sea salt, turmeric and chili powders and slow roast the mung beans for about 4 to 5 minutes or until crispy. Add the lime juice, stir for another 30 seconds and remove from heat.
- On the Magic Pop cracker, spread the mashed avocado, top with mung beans, mango, onion, cilantro and the sev!
Enjoy! What drink would you serve with these? I like a Pina colada with mine. Have a great weekend everyone!